Bedding my 700P

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

magic mike

Bedding my 700P

Postby magic mike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:29 am

Hello All,

A while back I posted a note about getting into long range rifle shooting. Well my neighbor and I have begun the journey. I bought a Remington 700P in .308 and he bought a 700 in 300 Win Mag. Since then we have outfitted both guns with Vortex Viper 6-24X50 scopes, Jewel triggers and Harris bi-pods. Ron chose a Blackhawk cheek weld pad and I chose to make my own from some pipe insulation. ( I like mine better.) I bought a Blackhawk also but it was just too wide. The height was OK but it pushed my face too far to the side to be comfortable. So, you do what ya gotta do and make your own. Below are some pictures of my 700 as I bedded the action. The 700P comes with a H&S composite stock which has a full length machined aluminum bedding block molded into it. This is great but it ain't perfect. The whole story about this little episode can be found on my website, www.mikesreloadingbench.com Just click on the Armory Clubhouse. My plan is to tell our story as we progress. So far so good.

[img][img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/9mm_mike/014_zpsb883cefa.jpg[/img]
All taped off, drilled and cleaned ready for the JB Weld.

[/img]Image
Action clamped in and excess compound removed.

[img][img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/9mm_mike/019_zpsd6b94fd0.jpg[/img]
Twelve hours later the action popped right out.

[/img]Image
About an hours worth of cleanup and this is the result. A perfect fit.

[img][img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/9mm_mike/700-A_zps332cce5d.jpg[/img]
All back together.

[/img]Image
Home made cheek weld pad.

I have much more commentary on this and the use of JB Weld as a bedding material on my site so check it out if you want.

Thanks,

mike

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Nice job. Think I will try JB Weld

Had to edit this short reply twice, think I will quit for the day.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks rowe. I don't think you can go wrong with it. I have used it for many other projects over the years with good results but I had never used it in a situation where I had to make sure I could extract a part after it cured. It worked great. I used Mothers paste wax and topped it with a shot of Mann's spray release agent and the action popped right out. The JB Weld is a heck of a lot cheaper than Devcon or Marine Tex and has a much higher temp range and tensile strength from what I have read.

mike

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 pm

I've always used Brownells action bedding and had great luck with it.
I guess the stuff is called Acraglass. I've used it for probably 35+ years.
I would have thought the JB Weld would dry to hard. Seems like the acraglass was designed to have a little "give or cushion".

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 pm

I used the JB Weld years ago in the intake passages in aluminum heads on the racing engines I built. Also used it in the runners of the sheet metal manifolds I made. It was always very easily machined and never showed any tendency to become brittle. Good stuff and only $17 bucks at your local automotive store.

mike

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 am

I agree that JB Weld is a great product, use a lot of it myself in similar applications that majic uses, except for bedding actions and barrels.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Have you got out to shoot your rifle after bedding it Mike?

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Yes sir I have. Not nearly as much as I would like due to lack of ammo and components. I would like to be able to report that bedding the action did wonders but I cannot. It might have but since I did it at the get-go I really have nothing to compare it to. Frankly, there most likely wasn't much to be gained since the stock already had a machined aluminum bedding block molded into it but I figured it darn sure couldn't hurt anything to bed it anyway. Me and my shooting buddy are just now getting a good start on putting together some quality rounds for my .308 and his 300 Win Mag so we can start running some ladder tests and do some chronograph work so we can figure out what these guns like. I'm trying to keep a running commentary about our adventures on my website if you are interested. My daughters think it's pretty funny that their dad waited until he was 65 years old to become a blogger!

mike

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks Mike, I will look forward to it.

Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”