38 Super

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

doranj

38 Super

Postby doranj » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Anyone have expierence with the 38 super. Ive got that sick feeling of needing another gun, just narrowing it down. RIA, Colt, Kimber. 450, 975, 1100 dollar wise. Ive been all over you tube, forums & there is not alot. The choice right now is between the Colt & RIA. The kimber as far as pics go blows both of them out of the water & has better sights imho. The Colt & RIA are both GI sights. Still stuck on why two guns that look the same are so far off on price. RIA is parkerized & Colt blued. Difference in metals? Name ? I would buy the Kimber cause it looks like that chic you always wanted to see naked, but just pushing my buttons on price. The Colt is still a little out of my price range, but can wing it & the RIA seems too good to be true. I could use some thoughts.
Thanks

gnslngr

Postby gnslngr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:34 pm

I own a mat finish SS Colt in .38 Super Auto. Have swapped the hammer, installed a beaver-tail safety, and a new trigger. Love the gun and the cartridge. It's just plain fun to shoot. Not a gun I would recommend for personal defense, but a day at the range with one will put a smile on your face.

doranj

Postby doranj » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 pm

gnslngr, any powder you settled on for the super?

gnslngr

Postby gnslngr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:51 am

I load with Titegroup under a 125 grain Zero FMJ. I load mine at max according to the Sierra 5th edition manual which is 6.0 grains. The gun runs great and is more accurate than I am.

*******ALWAYS WORK UP LOADS AND DO NOT EXCEED PUBLISHED MAXIMUM CHARGE WEIGHTS*****

Old 454

Postby Old 454 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:26 pm

I can tell you this about the RIA. Its a Philippine made gun. Now don't let that fool you.

After WW2 there were thousands of 1911A1 45ACP's left over there. I from what I have read about RIA, is that there one of the few producers of the 1911A1 45acp that has stayed true to the original design.
Slides are forged and yes they have MIM parts in them, but so does Kimber and some of the other boutique guns out there.

I have many friends that have the Commander size and the full size.

I had the commander size, but traded it for some thing else I wanted, not because it was cheap or not worth having. Buy it you won't regret it at all.

RIA is a fine shooter, and will go with some of the best.

Also to RIA customer service is superior to many of the other manufactures out there.

Get the RIA, save some coin and buy something you need from Magic Mike like Mods for the LLM. LOL

gnslngr

Postby gnslngr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 am

I couldn't agree more about the quality of the RIA. I bought my GF an officer's model and she loves it.
I do highly recommend that you completely disassemble the new gun and clean it. I found some shavings in the extractor port of the slide on hers.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Armscor, who makes the Rock Islands, is the largest manufacturer of 1911s in the world. They make more than anyone else.

I carry a .45 Rock Island and also bought a 9mm one. I had to send the 9mm back, they has some crazy idea they they weren't made to shoot 115 grain bullets.But I love it now.

The only bad thing about them are the lousy smooth wooden grips.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:14 pm

My carry gun is RIA. I don't think you can beat them for the money. I've never had a problem with this gun to date. I gave it a good cleaning and polished up a couple of items and it was good to go.

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1577

mike

doranj

Postby doranj » Sat May 10, 2014 2:03 pm

Need some help here. Still have not fired my RIA but getting ready to when I take some time off. When I rack the slide. The hammer comes back with the slide. Sometimes it stays back, but id say 50/50. I changed the grip safety & hammer. Dont know if that has anything to do with it. Any Ideas.
Thanks

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:01 pm

That baby needs some gunsmithing to get her safe to shoot. Probably some fine detailing in the area of the sear and the disconnect. I wouldn't consider it safe to shoot.

doranj

Postby doranj » Sat May 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Id like to find a good gunsmith around here. Dont think there is any. I ordered a couple of seer springs. I remember bending the sh-- out of the one that's in there not knowing how to put it back together. Gonna try that 1st. If not have to send off to a gunsmith. We have gun shops around here, but gunsmiths I don't think they know what that means here in the Charlotte area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

carload9

here

Postby carload9 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:36 pm

here:

704 289 7071

brett millins

monroe nc

best gunsmith in nc

erle

Postby erle » Sat May 10, 2014 11:06 pm

I think you are on the right track. That sear spring can be tricky. You did right by ordering a new one if you bent yours at all. All 3 legs of that spring are bent just the right amount and just lay right in there in reassemble.

Google "1911 sear spring installation" and it should show you several good videos on how to re-install the new one. If the old one has been bent--don't try to use it!

Good luck & maybe you won't have to send it to a Gunsmith. Please be careful about loading it up if it still acts up.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun May 11, 2014 12:07 am

I agree that it is unsafe. This is the place for an answer, but finding a gunsmith may be your best bet.

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?58-Gunsmithing-Troubleshooting-amp-Refinishing

doranj

Postby doranj » Sun May 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies, thanks carload for the gunsmith. I stripped down the pistol & watched a few videos on u tube & figured it out. I still have some sear springs coming, but when I replaced the trigger, hammer & safety I installed the sear spring wrong. It is working like a champ now. Thanks again.

Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”