LC380

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

rowe_s

LC380

Postby rowe_s » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Anybody here have experiance with a Ruger LC380 ?
My daughter is talking about geting another pistol. She has wrist problem so I expect a 9 to be a little rough for her. Her Walther PK380 was bothering her wrist last summer so I don't think a 9mm is right for her yet.

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:42 pm

My daughter has one. I have fired it, not too bad. A bit snappy but overall quite controllable. It doesn't fit my big mitt, but my daughter really likes it. It is her EDC so she is practicing with it once a week.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:39 am

GhostlyOne wrote:My daughter has one. I have fired it, not too bad. A bit snappy but overall quite controllable. It doesn't fit my big mitt, but my daughter really likes it. It is her EDC so she is practicing with it once a week.

Good to hear, Thanks GhostlyOne. I am going to help her find one that fits well. I made the mistake once of buying her a pistol, didn't fit, I still got it. I have found a person that has one of the Rugers locally. Sheila will shoot it and decide.

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18 am

Yeah, like I used to tell customers at the small gun shop I worked at up north, if it doesn't feel right to you, you might as well be carrying a rock.

rrgramps

Postby rrgramps » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Can't tell you about the Ruger, except it is a very popular pistol and got the .380 started on a landslide. You and your daughter will like it.

OTOH, I bought a .380 S&W Bodyguard last week. I'm now in the process of setting up my LM to feed it.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:26 pm

rrgramps wrote:Can't tell you about the Ruger, except it is a very popular pistol and got the .380 started on a landslide. You and your daughter will like it.

OTOH, I bought a .380 S&W Bodyguard last week. I'm now in the process of setting up my LM to feed it.

Loadmaster really puts out 380s. You will like loading them on it.

carload9

steve

Postby carload9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:31 am

steve, primes and all, the loadmaster on 380.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TryUXIzYVFk

rrgramps

Postby rrgramps » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:09 pm

OT, but I've left my LM set up per "Uncle Don" back in the ole days when GT forum folks were standing in line trying their best to thrash him for drinking red koolaid. He was doing .45 ACP then, and made a video clip demonstrating the speed he could attain without a case feeder or bullet. It was faster then their 4 X more expensive 650's!!!

45ACP on my LM has served me well, and and I parked my red press after loading more .45ACP boolits than I could shoot. I'm not hoarding, and last month after 5 years hiatus, I needed to load some more. After finishing my last batch of .45ACP shells, I looked for another caliber that I haven't tried. My SQD is setup permanently with .38 spcl and my 550RB gets .45 Colt, .44spcl/mag, and 9mm. I now have enough enough of those calibers for the temporary time being.

I've watched you run through .380's with an excitement which is all the fuel I needed to pursue it. So I'm making my change, and it's gonna be .380 for awhile. My .45 ACP dies are now off, and I'm in the middle of the .380 conversion. WooHoo!!!

carload9

hay

Postby carload9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:59 pm

MM has helped me and taught me parts and how things work better than my mind could understand til its explained. Some engineers cant get down on our level. Iam pretty good with my hands. I did get more fanatical with brass prep pre/post. I've had lee bb kit a year, recently got all cartridge gages which taught me in it's own way. A hunk of metal can teach you how to make great ammo and that is the 20$ cartridge gage (i bought 4-n-1). The brass prep is the key for me, MM's press stuff works/thats your given but theres more to it that. We learn.

I have 1050, l have to prep brass first. I had rl-550 friday but was sold on ebay, so l ordered a xl-650.

The loadmaster is a keeper with mm, would be stupid to sell a loadmaster set up like mine. " I have 2 ",, for some reason ebay is swamped with LLM's. I had retired engineer over here other nite/neighbor, just started loading not long ago. I let him load box of 9 on rl-550 then l switched him to MM/LLM and he had the "wow" face.

Trying to define final measurments of finished ammo so that the cartridge gage appreciates it. I have dillon dies, i like to mix and match, may buy a redding once in a while. Still learn everyday.

Something ya dont need:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIA_EQ6KsSo

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

GhostlyOne

Re: hay

Postby GhostlyOne » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:18 pm

carload9 wrote:I have 1050, l have to prep brass first.

Are you saying that you MUST prep brass first or that it is something that you do by choice?

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Nobody should knowingly put dirty brass on a progressive press, just asking for trouble. Plus it's easier, much easier to keep it clean. As a matter of fact I only run decapped, SS media cleaned brass on my progressive.

carload9

G1

Postby carload9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:56 pm

l love preping brass and then i dont have to stop. Wonder what % of loaders prep the way l do? But see my stop is after cartridge gage not when it comes out of press.

rrgramps

Postby rrgramps » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Handgun Only.
My brass prep consists of dumping a bag of dirty range cases into my media separator, crank it a few times to get rid of loose mud and powder dust, throw it into my vibratory case cleaner for less than 30 minutes, clean out my media separator and dump the brass into it for a few minute of cranking, then it comes into my loading room. It then gets sprayed with One-Shot a few minutes before running it in my press.

If my press is set up properly, I'll run a test case and take powder measurement(s), then dump the powder back and send it to my seating stage. If COAL checks out, I'm ready to roll the press into full progressive operation.

I seldom, if ever, prime off-press or de-cap ahead of time. Most of the time, my presses don't have stoppages. But I do spend a considerable amount of setup time. I do go slow and not jerky-jerky, slam-bang.

But I don't have a feel yet for these little .380's, and I'm sending the first 50-100 through to get de-capped only. Ditto for the remaining stages until I'm sure this new caliber, dies, and other new parts work out. (Including MM's Shake Brake).

CL, nice video of the S 1050. Funny that you shamelessly go back to the LM after using that almost $2000 press ($1872 as pictured in BP catalog).

Back on topic. Rowe, did ya get it? The elsy pea?

carload9

oh

Postby carload9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:55 pm

yea, but l dont think llm is shameful, I think it is great press. I use it all the time. Iam waiting for rick or mm or someone to design a 2 stage combo seat crimp die. Maybe electric operated 2nd stage upstairs.

What pistols do you shoot. I have tcp,cw380,xds

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:29 pm

I am probably one of the most anal about clean brass. Like C/L, I can't stand to put dirty brass in my nice clean press.

My process goes like this:

Inspect cases.
De-prime on single stage Lee Breechlock Challenger.
3 - 8 minute cycles in my Hornady Ultra-Sonic cleaner.
Dry on towel over night.
2 - 4 hours in the vibratory tumbler.
Re-inspect cases.
Store in "Ready to Load" canisters. (Peanut Butter jars)

Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”