Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan/44 Mag.

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

GhostlyOne
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan/44 Mag.

Postby GhostlyOne » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:51 pm

About January of last year, (2013) I started researching heavy frame, large caliber revolvers. I already had a Ruger GP100 in .357 that I bought up north and just loved it, so it was a no-brainer to go look at the Ruger large caliber models. I had handled and shot an Alaskan, and really liked it but at that time there were NONE to be had at nearly any price unless you were willing to pay nearly double retail. I started looking at other manufactures guns in the same genre'. Checked out Colt, S&W, Taurus, Rossi as well as several others. None had the same "feel" as the Ruger, I finally bit the bullet so to speak and ordered one from Loudon County Sportsman in Tennessee and was advised that although the delivery date was very uncertain, they would hold to the price quoted. No other shops in the area would do that, and neither would the on-line gun suppliers. The gun finally came in in November (?) and I rushed down to pick it up. Bought the LAST AND ONLY boxes of .44 Magnum self defense ammo and the LAST AND ONLY box of target(?) ammo they had. I suppose that should have been an indicator of things to come.

Needless to say, I hustled out to the local (sort of) gun range to try out my new girl. Flawless with both S/D and target ammo. Well my 70 rounds were now all gone. Over the next few months I managed to pick up more ammo here and there, ordered the LLM in .44 Mag and learned just why the .44 mag is not a favored target weapon. The recoil is, as expected, HEAVY!! Nonetheless, I love the gun! Sights are right on even out to 25 yards, muzzle blast and flash (in daylight) is acceptable and the feel of the gun is AWESOME!! Fit and finish is just what you would expect from Ruger, excellent. Trigger is a little heavy in double action mode, but right where it belongs and repeatable with a nice crisp break in S/A mode.

Oh, by the way. I was JUST able this month to find bullets in .44 to allow me to reload for this gun. Now if I could only find brass! (and of course .44 SPL seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur)

I have rather severe Arthritis in my hands (and other places) so my opportunities to fire this sweetie are limited (as well as my other heavy calibers). But the discomfort experienced is well worth the feel of power in this magnificent piece of well crafted stainless steel. Anybody who has a yen for a wonderful large caliber, heavy frame revolver owes it to themselves to check out this beauty.

User avatar
darwin
Site Admin
Posts: 1954
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Central Indiana

Postby darwin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:12 am

I shot one twice and that was enough for me! You are a better man than me. :D

rowe_s
Posts: 903
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Postby rowe_s » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:53 am

I can't shoot a big bore very much either. Once in a while is fun, but I don't do much of it. It hurts! Light loads are fun though.

GhostlyOne
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Postby GhostlyOne » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 am

Yeah, I am working up a load for 44 spl to use at the range. So far all I have been able to do is to trim down 44 mag cases for testing. Can't find any 44 spl brass at the range or commercially for decent prices. Have to mark those cases for disposal when I get the load figured out so I can dispose of them later. Don't want them mixed up in my "official" loads. Magnum recoil is to say the least, HEAVY! I can't shoot more than 15 - 20 at a session. The 44 spl recoil is manageable.

rrgramps
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:39 am

Postby rrgramps » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 am

Fun caliber. I use Trailboss into 44 special cases and load light for SASSE type shooting. Shoots like a popgun. Gave the gun (Ruger Blackhawk) to my youngest son a few months ago. But I still have .45 Colt SAA and lever action to load for cowboy fun. Trailboss for them too. Wild Bunch and 45 ACP? Switching from W231 to Trailboss there too pardner.

I may get another Blackhawk someday. Great gun !!!

This weather has got me holed up, and I want to go shooting. :D

GhostlyOne
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Postby GhostlyOne » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:31 am

rrgramps wrote:
This weather has got me holed up, and I want to go shooting. :D


I know the feeling. We are having a rather nice spell here in East Tennessee, but I know it won't last. Snow predicted for later this week and again next week. Fortunately it doesn't last long here and I shoot at an indoor range in the winter.

dglock
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan/44 Mag.

Postby dglock » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:26 am

GhostlyOne wrote:About January of last year, (2013) I started researching heavy frame, large caliber revolvers. I already had a Ruger GP100 in .357 that I bought up north and just loved it, so it was a no-brainer to go look at the Ruger large caliber models. I had handled and shot an Alaskan, and really liked it but at that time there were NONE to be had at nearly any price unless you were willing to pay nearly double retail. I started looking at other manufactures guns in the same genre'. Checked out Colt, S&W, Taurus, Rossi as well as several others. None had the same "feel" as the Ruger, I finally bit the bullet so to speak and ordered one from Loudon County Sportsman in Tennessee and was advised that although the delivery date was very uncertain, they would hold to the price quoted. No other shops in the area would do that, and neither would the on-line gun suppliers. The gun finally came in in November (?) and I rushed down to pick it up. Bought the LAST AND ONLY boxes of .44 Magnum self defense ammo and the LAST AND ONLY box of target(?) ammo they had. I suppose that should have been an indicator of things to come.

Needless to say, I hustled out to the local (sort of) gun range to try out my new girl. Flawless with both S/D and target ammo. Well my 70 rounds were now all gone. Over the next few months I managed to pick up more ammo here and there, ordered the LLM in .44 Mag and learned just why the .44 mag is not a favored target weapon. The recoil is, as expected, HEAVY!! Nonetheless, I love the gun! Sights are right on even out to 25 yards, muzzle blast and flash (in daylight) is acceptable and the feel of the gun is AWESOME!! Fit and finish is just what you would expect from Ruger, excellent. Trigger is a little heavy in double action mode, but right where it belongs and repeatable with a nice crisp break in S/A mode.

Oh, by the way. I was JUST able this month to find bullets in .44 to allow me to reload for this gun. Now if I could only find brass! (and of course .44 SPL seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur)

I have rather severe Arthritis in my hands (and other places) so my opportunities to fire this sweetie are limited (as well as my other heavy calibers). But the discomfort experienced is well worth the feel of power in this magnificent piece of well crafted stainless steel. Anybody who has a yen for a wonderful large caliber, heavy frame revolver owes it to themselves to check out this beauty.


What is the difference in the super redhawk Alaskan and the standard super redhawk?

I have a super redhawk SS in 44 mag that i load with 300 gr bullets at 1200 fps, that does have some hefty recoil!

don

GhostlyOne
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Postby GhostlyOne » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:18 pm

The Super Redhawk Alaskan is only available in stainless steel and with a 2-1/2" barrel. The last I knew it was chambered in .44 mag, 454 Casull, or .480. I think maybe the .480 may have been discontinued as I do not see it on the Ruger web site anymore.

The standard is available in 7.5" bbl chambered in .44 mag and .454 Casull, and in 9.5" bbl in .44 mag. All are in stainless steel. I fired both the 44 and the 454 standard versions. Nice guns but I am partial to snubbys.

I also own the Ruger GP100 in .357 with a 3" bbl. That is what made me a convert to Ruger and revolvers. I still own and love my semi-autos, but these revolvers are my real sweethearts.

rrgramps
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:39 am

Postby rrgramps » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:57 pm

GhostlyOne wrote: That is what made me a convert to Ruger and revolvers. I still own and love my semi-autos, but these revolvers are my real sweethearts.

Plus on not chasing brass too.

GhostlyOne
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Postby GhostlyOne » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:59 pm

You got that right!!!

myloadm61
Posts: 953
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:59 pm
Location: Montana

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:59 pm

You want a real 44 cal handgun, shoot the 445 Supermag, makes the 44 mag act like a sissy LOL

GhostlyOne
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Postby GhostlyOne » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:24 pm

I've got enough problems hanging on to my Alaskan with .44 mag. No thanks to anything with more recoil.


Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest