80% polymer ar lower recievers

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

DOC H

Postby DOC H » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:37 am

has any one checked out these new 80% ar lower receiver kits with drilling jig you can buy WITHOUT ffl ? is it a good idea? thinking about purchasing a few.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Last I knew the BATFE had shut down that operation because they claimed they were more than 80% completed.

You can buy alloy 80% receivers, and jigs to complete the machining.

One source: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1681932

The jigs are reusable. Once you have them, receivers are cheap: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1564504

DOC H

Postby DOC H » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:42 am

There is still a company called JAMES MADISON TACTICAL selling polymer lowers for $99.oo bucks or 80% LOWER WITH LPK for $169.00. looks like the polymers would be easier to work with. and cheaper if there strong enough.

dcorrick

Postby dcorrick » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:54 pm

I bought an 80% lower in both anodized aluminum, and the polymer one as well. I bought the jig to machine them out. I never got around to cutting them out yet though. I bought mine both from aresarmor dot com. I waited almost 9 months for the first anodized aluminum unit. The polymer one I had in about a week. They just had the polymer ones on sale for about $49 IIRC. Hopefully I will finish them up this winter. I also bought two lower parts kit from them for about $39 each. Ares Armor is the company in California that was raided by BATF several months ago, and they were trying to shut them down. I believe the court ruled in Ares Favor as they are still selling. I get emails from them everyday.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Ares Armor is the company I was thinking of when I posted that the BATFE had shut them down. I wasn't aware that they had been vindicated in court. Do you have a link to any reliable source?

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Go to www.aresarmor.com. Appears they are indeed in business.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Ares never went out of business, but the BATFE confiscated their entire inventory of polymer 80% lowers. I recall reading something about their filing a lawsuit to try to get them back, but I don't know if that has been resolved. While the polymer lowers mess was being fought in the legal arena, Ares continued to sell the stuff the BATFE didn't have problems with.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:03 pm

I think they made lowers with 2 different colors of polymer. You just removed everything of one color. BATF claimed they were 100% lowers which had the voids filled in, and the company said they were built up starting with the part that would later be removed.

I would want an aluminum one anyway.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:30 pm

darwin wrote:I think they made lowers with 2 different colors of polymer. You just removed everything of one color. BATF claimed they were 100% lowers which had the voids filled in, and the company said they were built up starting with the part that would later be removed.

Correct.

I would want an aluminum one anyway.

Sportsmans Guide is selling a kit, with the alloy lower and all the jigs. Not a bad price, especially since the jigs can be used multiple times once you have them. Their bare 80% lower sells for $90, so the jigs don't add that much.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1681932

DOC H

80% polymer ar lower racievers

Postby DOC H » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Is it true that these lowers are untraceable ? it would be nice to build something the feds can't take away. I built 2 M4s last year & loved the challenge . but if the KING gets his way, well you know where I'm going with this.

Hawkmoon

Re: 80% polymer ar lower racievers

Postby Hawkmoon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:33 pm

DOC H wrote:Is it true that these lowers are untraceable ? it would be nice to build something the feds can't take away. I built 2 M4s last year & loved the challenge . but if the KING gets his way, well you know where I'm going with this.

An 80% receiver (for an AR-15, AK-47, 1911, or whatever) is not considered a firearm and is therefore not required to have a serial number. The law allows the owner to complete the machining himself (this doesn't include dropping it off at Mike's machine Tool & Die to have it done), for his own personal use. Once you complete the machining, the receiver becomes a firearm, just like any completed receiver. The law does not require that the completed receiver have a serial number or maker's name and location marked on it. So in that sense I guess it is untraceable.

However, you can be fairly well assured that the federal government knows who is selling 80% receivers, and if the day of confiscation ever comes I'm sure the feds will go to the makers and vendors of these things and get a list of who they sold them to.

And if you ever decide to sell it, it can't be transferred without applying a serial number, the maker's name, and the maker's city and state.

http://www.shotgunnews.com/ask-the-guns ... 15-lowers/

Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”