Barrel blues

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

magic mike

Barrel blues

Postby magic mike » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Well crap! Took my Remmy up to Precision Rifles in Argyle, TX to have Stick (Don Starks) take a look at it and try to help me figure out why I can't get this gun to consistently group. He looked it over, asked me a few questions about my loads etc. then we took it across to the other side of their facility to have J.D. Sims (the other half of S@S) take a peek at the bore with their bore-scope.

Well I have to tell you that was a real eye-opener. J.D. looked at it through the scope from the chamber end and told me that it was getting heavily powder fouled and that if I didn't get it scrubbed out that the stuff will turn into almost a ceramic like substance and it will never come out! Needless to say I was very surprised as I am absolutely anal about cleaning my guns after I shoot them. How can this be? He also told me that I wouldn't believe how many Remington barrels they see that are not chambered straight! Looking at the end of the lands in the leade on the mis-chambered barrels, he said that you can see the end of the lands on one side of the barrel and not the other indicating a crooked chamber. Also he showed me what he calls "railroad tracks" on the lands of my barrel. These look like cracks running across the lands from groove to groove. They are really chatter marks left by the rifling button. Well, needless to say I was bummed out but truth be known, I wasn't surprised.

J.D. gave me a printed copy of his cleaning regimen and I purchased the cleaning products he advised and a specific nylon bore brush made just for the cleaning paste he prescribed. When I got back home I attacked the barrel with this paste and brush and spent about an hour on it. Brush it, patch 'till clean then do it again and again and again. I simply could not believe how much material came out of that barrel! I've been cleaning guns for a long time and I always thought I did a pretty good job of getting them clean but man was I wrong!

I am anxious to shoot the gun again after all the above mentioned cleaning so I can see if it will help the gun group any better. I sure can't see how it will hurt anything.

After seeing my "factory" barrel through a bore-scope I have decided to let Stick tru the action and install a new custom barrel. I'll have another $700 in the gun but that's still way under what a custom gun would cost and there is no doubt in my mind that it will shoot bug holes when Stick gets done with it.

I have a page on my website (http://www.mikesreloadingbench.com) in the "Armory Clubhouse" section titled "On Going Commentary" where I am chronicling this little adventure if any of you are interested.

Stick doesn't know it yet but he is also going to get the chance to build me a 6MM BR. Now we're talking BUG HOLES!

Just in case any of you would like a little more info about who these two fellas are check out this video. You won't meet two nicer or more knowledgeable guys.

http://youtu.be/2mEAGrY72kc

Merry Christmas All,

mike

carload9

mm

Postby carload9 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:19 pm

mm:
any way u can list all those cleaning secrets?

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:51 pm

Iosso Products Triple Action Oil Solution ans paste Bore Cleaner. They also make a very tight fitting nylon brush for use with their Bore Cleaner.

1. Wet the bore with one patch of the Oil Solution.
2. 10-12 full strokes with brush coated with Bore Cleaner paste.
3. Follow with two patches with Oil Solution followed by two dry patches.

Repeat as many times as required to remove all deposits. ( you won't believe the crud that keeps coming out!)

Finish with a couple patches soaked with Butch's Bore Shine and a couple to dry the bore.

Run one patch coated with liquid graphite through the bore and you're done.

mike

doranj

Postby doranj » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Magic Mike, I will definitely use the cleaning idea, but I bought a Marlin X7VH in 308 with a bull barrel for under $400 & could not be happier with my groups. I added a Boyd's thumbhole stock($100) for it & bedded the action with devcon & made the pillars from stock SS tubing. Its a shooter. Its also pretty. I just don't shoot it enough. I doubt that I will ever get to shoot it more than 2-300 yards away from the choices of gun clubs that I have around here, but I am a happy camper with the purchase.

carload9

hey

Postby carload9 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:20 pm

More pics please?

doranj

Postby doranj » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Hang on Carload. Let me see if the ole lady will let me put it on the bed for a pic. We have a small house.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:07 pm

doranj. I have also been very happy with my groups but I have also been very unhappy with them. My thing is consistency and that is what I am not getting with this rifle. After looking at the barrel with the bore scope I understand why. Like Stick told me; You buy a factory gun and you have a 50/50 chance of getting one that will shoot. I think mine was made on Friday!

mike

doranj

Postby doranj » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:23 pm

Here you go Carload. It took some elbowing with the ole lady. Shes wrapping. LOL Mike. Might have been a friday build. I know for sure where I work nobody in there gives a flying hoot. Pisses me off. Nobody cares anymore except a few & the ones that do not exceed the ones that do. Thats why I gave up mgmt. Oh yeah, the ole lady has nice hooters & thats a 26" bull barrel on that thing. Happy with it.

carload9

wow

Postby carload9 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Yea, a definate hog killin barrrel.

doranj

Postby doranj » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:29 pm

Definate zinger in the right hands.

carload9

dj

Postby carload9 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:19 am

That stock is nice and big fat barrel all potted in too. I'd like to shoot a big boar hog.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Woopie dooo!! New Brux 10 twist SS heavy varmint barrel just delivered. Now I have to save up so I can get it installed. Working on heavy mods to the stock in the mean time.

mike

Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”