What are your most and least favorite guns?

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

Horseman
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Postby Horseman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:41 am

I know the "double" safety is secure. I carried the Combat Kimber in a shoulder holster with a under hammer thumb break for several years, still, I was always very aware of the "in battery" condition. In my current situation I no longer feel the need for that level of "readiness". I do agree that for a person in high risk level situations it would be a hard platform to beat. But for a country hick like me a good revolver will suffice.

1911A1
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Postby 1911A1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:06 pm

Horseman wrote:I know the "double" safety is secure. I carried the Combat Kimber in a shoulder holster with a under hammer thumb break for several years, still, I was always very aware of the "in battery" condition. In my current situation I no longer feel the need for that level of "readiness". I do agree that for a person in high risk level situations it would be a hard platform to beat. But for a country hick like me a good revolver will suffice.



For me anything I can carry cocked and locked I do, on the rare occasion I carry my Baby eagle, I carry it like a revolver, DA safety off.

jabies52
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Postby jabies52 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Most favorite : S&W 19 & 66, colt lite wight officer acp, python, ruger convertible blackhawk 45, S&W 41,and all rest off them in the safe.Lest favorite is Marlin 22 auto that hangs up every third shoot.Still like it enough to keep it

1911A1
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Postby 1911A1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:02 am

jabies52 wrote:Most favorite : S&W 19 & 66, colt lite wight officer acp, python, ruger convertible blackhawk 45, S&W 41,and all rest off them in the safe.Lest favorite is Marlin 22 auto that hangs up every third shoot.Still like it enough to keep it


I have a ancient Remington .22 pump that the action hangs up on constantly, I still cant part with it tho. :lol:

Horseman
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Postby Horseman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:46 am

1911A1 wrote:
Horseman wrote:I know the "double" safety is secure. I carried the Combat Kimber in a shoulder holster with a under hammer thumb break for several years, still, I was always very aware of the "in battery" condition. In my current situation I no longer feel the need for that level of "readiness". I do agree that for a person in high risk level situations it would be a hard platform to beat. But for a country hick like me a good revolver will suffice.



For me anything I can carry cocked and locked I do, on the rare occasion I carry my Baby eagle, I carry it like a revolver, DA safety off.


Okay....but you'll shoot yer eye out kid.. :wink:

pistolpositive
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 am

Postby pistolpositive » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:35 am

Most enjoyable rifle I own is my Remington Model 8 in .35 caliber. Fun gun to shoot. My Winchester 1894 in 30-30 is close behind. Someday I hope to own a M1 Garand.
Most enjoyable pistol I had was a CZ 2075 in 9. Now my current favorite 9 is a Taurus 1911. I enjoy my RIA .45 acp 1911, but not nearly as much as the 9mm. My Interarms Walther PPK/S is high up there on my list of favorite guns. Hope to own a CZ75 or other full size CZ pistol someday. They are very well made guns.
Least favorite - owned a Beretta 82FS (would like to have its big brother the 92FS). Never liked shooting that pistol. Traded it for the CZ2075. Shot a deringer made here in Texas in .45 and .410. Not a fun gun to shoot. Shot a 45-70 many years ago with a dual stage trigger. Interesting, but not anything I would like to own.

User avatar
darwin
Site Admin
Posts: 1954
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Central Indiana

Postby darwin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:50 am

pistolpositive wrote:Now my current favorite 9 is a Taurus 1911. I enjoy my RIA .45 acp 1911, but not nearly as much as the 9mm.


I, too, like my RIA, carry it every day. I bought a Rock Island 9mm 1911 and had a mess of a time with it for a while. It wouldn't work with 115 grain bullets. After a lot of griping and complaining on the 1911A forum, we finally got it straightened out. I jad to send it in twice. The first time they told me it wasn't meant to shoot 115 grain bullets.

I didn't know Taurus made a 9mm 1911.

pistolpositive
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 am

Postby pistolpositive » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Taurus makes one and it is a pretty solid piece of equipment - a lot tighter than my RIA.
The manual on the Taurus makes a reference to 124 grain ammo, but does not necessarily specify it. I have been shooting 115 grain but will probably start loading 124 grain soon.

User avatar
Hawkmoon
Posts: 390
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:35 am

Postby Hawkmoon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Most and least favorite? LORDIE, that's a tough one.

It's probably easier to pick a least favorite, but even that has multiple contenders. Can I do one handgun and one long gun in this category? As LEAST favorites, it's got to be either the Ruger Mk II 22/45 or the SKS.

Most favorite I think I have to rate a tie, between a Para-Ordnance P12.45 (old style) and a Colt 9mm Combat Commander. And I just can't choose one out of that pair as being significantly MORE favorite than the other.

User avatar
darwin
Site Admin
Posts: 1954
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Central Indiana

Postby darwin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:42 pm

It's tough, isn't it, Hawkmoon? I REALLY like my Para Ordnance 14/45 single action. But I carry my Rock Island. My Rock Island 9mm 1911 is sweet, and my Taurus .357 is really nice, too. :D

User avatar
daboone
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:09 pm

Postby daboone » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Hawkmoon wrote: As LEAST favorites,............. or the SKS.


Hawk I'm not questioning your choice but I just gotta ask why you pick the SKS? Again I'm not doubting the soundness of your judgment just that I find it an interesting choice for a "least favorite".

User avatar
Hawkmoon
Posts: 390
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:35 am

Postby Hawkmoon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 pm

daboone wrote:
Hawkmoon wrote: As LEAST favorites,............. or the SKS.


Hawk I'm not questioning your choice but I just gotta ask why you pick the SKS? Again I'm not doubting the soundness of your judgment just that I find it an interesting choice for a "least favorite".

It just doesn't warm the cockles of my heart. I bought it so that I'd have a long(ish) gun in 7.62x39, since I'm one of those doomsday theorists who expects societal collapse and anarchy within my lifetime. I wanted to have something in case I have to scrounge for ammo and that's all I can find. It's an okay weapon, but I don't like it. The long guns I like are the Mauser K98, M48, and M24/47. Those are all in 8mm Mauser (naturally). I have a Garand (not a great specimen, but it came from the CMP so it'll shoot safely), so I have .30-06 covered. I was discussing the other day that I don't have anything in good ol' .308 (or 7.62x51).

For handguns I'm also into multi-caliber. Darwin knows I'm a 1911 lover. I have the 9mm Commander, and I have a couple of Para double stacks. One is a switch barrel -- I bought it as a P13.45, and with a spare slide, barrel and magazines it's also a .40 S&W (P15.40). And I have another (single stack) 1911 set up in .22LR.



It occurs to me that I may have misunderstood the question. I'm answering the question as what are the most and least favorite of guns I actually own ... not what I think are the bestest and worstest guns in the universe.

User avatar
daboone
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:09 pm

Postby daboone » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:28 pm

That's the way I feel about the AK. It just doesn't do it for me. Like you there isn't a bad Mauser. I tend to enjoy the military C&Rs just because of their history. The surprise to me was just how accurate the 91/30 is. It's not as good as the K31 but better than my 03/A3, Garand, K98, and Arisaka 99.
Your posts help me decide on my Colt 1911. Extremely happy with that baby however my favorite handgun is the Makarov. Don't ask me why because all I can say is it just feel right and is the most accurate performer for me. The 45ACP is ten time more fun to handload so many load and bullets to choose from.

User avatar
darwin
Site Admin
Posts: 1954
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Central Indiana

Postby darwin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Hawkmoon wrote:
It occurs to me that I may have misunderstood the question. I'm answering the question as what are the most and least favorite of guns I actually own ... not what I think are the bestest and worstest guns in the universe.


No, you had it right. I was talking about guns we own.

Is for long guns, I don't have any I don't like. I have a 9mm and a .45ACP Hi Point carbines, an AK47 and a bolt action .22 I've had since I was a kid. I have a pump .410 shotgun that I don't get all warm and fuzzy over, but I like it okay.

I LIKE the AK. The simplicity of the design is very interesting to me. It shoot okay, but they aren't exactly built for accuracy. I knew that going it.

User avatar
Hawkmoon
Posts: 390
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:35 am

Postby Hawkmoon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:30 pm

darwin wrote:Is for long guns, I don't have any I don't like. I have a 9mm and a .45ACP Hi Point carbines, an AK47 and a bolt action .22 I've had since I was a kid. I have a pump .410 shotgun that I don't get all warm and fuzzy over, but I like it okay.

I hear you. I really need a pistol caliber carbine, both because of ammo cost and because the indoor range where I shoot doesn't allow rifle calibers, but they do allow pistol caliber ammo out of long guns. Trouble is, I don't want to spend an arm and two legs. They've started a "Carbine Night" competition once a month and I'd love to get an AR-15 in 9mm (or maybe .40 S&W) for that ... but there aren't that many companies who make ARs in 9mm and those who do all want $1,000 and up. I can't afford to spend anywhere near that amount for something I'll use one night a month, and probably not even every month.


Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests