What are your most and least favorite guns?

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:09 am

If you just want a pistol caliber carbine, look at the Hi Points. They aren't AR 15 models, but they shoot pretty well and are CHEAP. They have lousy triggers, but luckily, 'm too ham fisted to notice the difference. The new stocks look a lot nicer than the old ones.

"Taurus enters the pistol caliber carbine market with it's new Carbine CT G2 available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP in four different models, all with 16" barrels."

(BTW, that's the calibers that Hi Points come in as well.)

base871

Postby base871 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:12 pm

My favorite would have to be my AK-74. Low recoil, stupid cheap ammo. Next my G27. My least favorite would be a tie between my Rock Island 1911 and My Keltec Sub 2000 9mm glock.

The Rock Island got sent back to Armscor to get fixed. The Keltec is ok but the mags fall out when the slide is released and it jams every 6rds or so.

Might try the hipoint 995ts. Liked the Keltecs size but another downside is that I am a left handed shooter, and I get powder burns in my eye even with glasses because the shells eject about 6in from my face.

motopic

Postby motopic » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:55 pm

I've only had a few guns, never had tons of money sadly.

Way back before the first Assault Rifle ban('91?) I went deep and bought 2 AR15s. Colt 20" HBARs with 1/7twist, A2 uppers.
I've fired I don't know how many rounds thru these.
After 20 years they both need new triggers, one is gritty as hell.
I recently put a 3-9x scope on one, and that was an improvement.

I am going to order new triggers and refurb them with all new springs, etc. I am using the LM to find the sweetspot for the ammo for them.

Last year I got on a lark, I bought a used Hungarian PA-63. This is a PPK in 9mmMak caliber. I bought a medium spring to try, after swapping it, I concluded the previous own must have already put in the heavy springs. This pistol is a lot of fun to shoot. And it carries like a 380 PPK.

Shooting the little PA63 has improved my Glock 9mm shooting quite a bit, even tho they are different.

I saw a ad recently for a SKS $300!, I remember my first SKS for $98!
I wish I had that gun back now.

base871

Postby base871 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:04 pm

I had a PA63 I got back when they were on sale at J&G for $99. Put at least 2000 rds through it before I sold it. Wish I still had it, they are going for about $225-250 now.

Have a P64 now. A bit smaller than the PA63 but heavier I think. Great trigger pull but in SA in is pretty rough (26lbs pull I hear).

I reload 9x18 on occasion, as I can still pick up 50rds of brown bear locally for $11.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:25 pm

base871 wrote: My least favorite would be a tie between my Rock Island 1911 and My Keltec Sub 2000 9mm glock.

The Rock Island got sent back to Armscor to get fixed. The Keltec is ok but the mags fall out when the slide is released and it jams every 6rds or so.

Might try the hipoint 995ts. Liked the Keltecs size but another downside is that I am a left handed shooter, and I get powder burns in my eye even with glasses because the shells eject about 6in from my face.

My carry gun is a Rock Island my wife bought me for Christmas. I love that gun. I have a 9mm Rock Island 1911, and boy, did I have to throw a fit over that one. The told me they needed heavy bullets to operate correctly. I sent it in once on my dime (shipping) and they pais shipping the second time and fixed it right.

I have a Kel Tec P11 and ran thousands of rounds through it. IT broke a lot, but they were good about sending me free parts.

I have a Hi Point in both 9mm and .45 ACP - love them both.....

SidecarMike

Postby SidecarMike » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:49 pm

darwin wrote:
I have a Hi Point in both 9mm and .45 ACP - love them both.....

You know, I also have a C9 and a JHP, as well as a 995 carbine. They really are great guns. I can't get the 9mm away from my wife. She insists my S&W 22 has more recoil than the 9mm. It has become her carry gun, though I have a number of smaller more expensive ones she could take.
Come to think of it, I don't have the 45. Our furnace guy ran gas to my garage and hung a furnace out there in exchange.

base871

Postby base871 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:41 am

I had the .40 hipoint pistol years ago. Heavy, ugly, looked like a ryobi cordless drill. But it did go bang every time, and never jammed in the 500 or so rds I put through it. Never shot the carbines, but I saw them when I was at J&G sales last week and they were 229 plus tax. I have seen them here in the valley for 260 OTD. For that price you cant really go wrong. The new ones look cool!

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:04 am

The Hi Point pistols are so heavy because they are blowbacks, and need a heavy slide to yank that empty case out of the chamber.

The carbines are 100%, as far as I've ever been able to tell, but they do kick harder then you would think they would.

I liked the new stocks so much, I bought a new one for my old 9mm carbine, so it and my .45 carbine would match.

dglock

Postby dglock » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 am

darwin wrote:The Hi Point pistols are so heavy because they are blowbacks, and need a heavy slide to yank that empty case out of the chamber.

The carbines are 100%, as far as I've ever been able to tell, but they do kick harder then you would think they would.

I liked the new stocks so much, I bought a new one for my old 9mm carbine, so it and my .45 carbine would match.

Blow back operated pistols need a heavy slide to keep the action closed until the pressure has dropped.
It has nothing to do with extraction.

don

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:39 pm

dglock wrote:
darwin wrote:The Hi Point pistols are so heavy because they are blowbacks, and need a heavy slide to yank that empty case out of the chamber.

Blow back operated pistols need a heavy slide to keep the action closed until the pressure has dropped.
It has nothing to do with extraction.

don

I stand corrected. I thought that since the case doesn't have time to return to more or less normal size (after the pressure drops), that the slide had more trouble pulling the case out.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:13 pm

My current favorite is the XDM 9 custom competition. Or the glock 35 or the S&W model 10 38 or maybe, Oh hell I love em all. I even shoot my lousy shooting Nagant 95. Don't have any I don't like.

Reload

Postby Reload » Sun May 27, 2012 7:39 am

Most favorite is my Colt Gold Cup National Match. It is everything a 1911 should be and then some.

Least favorite is tough, because I like all my guns. But I guess if I had to pick it would be my Ruger Security Six. Not that I don't like it, I do. I own more Rugers than any other brand. I'm just not a revolver guy. I keep it because it was the first handgun I ever bought and it's a solid, accurate gun. But it rarely gets shot.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun May 27, 2012 12:24 pm

I have several favorites , depensing on catagory .

I have been collecting lever guns , the last few years . My Rossie .357 Mag & .45 LC are close to the top .

In military category , the M1 Garand is close to the top .

God bless
Wyr

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Mon May 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Hawkmoon wrote:Most and least favorite? LORDIE, that's a tough one.

It's probably easier to pick a least favorite, but even that has multiple contenders. Can I do one handgun and one long gun in this category? As LEAST favorites, it's got to be either the Ruger Mk II 22/45 or the SKS.

Most favorite I think I have to rate a tie, between a Para-Ordnance P12.45 (old style) and a Colt 9mm Combat Commander. And I just can't choose one out of that pair as being significantly MORE favorite than the other.

Update -

I have a third candidate for favorite. It's purely a sentimental favorite, though, since it's effectively non-functional.

I now have my late grandfather's Winchester Model 1903 .22 semi-automatic carbine. It's a favorite both because it was my grandfather's and I have little else of his to remember him by, and also because it's the rifle on which I learned to shoot.

However, today I can't shoot it, for two reasons. First is, the last time we used it (which had to have been thirty or more years ago) it wouldn't extract, and I know it hasn't been repaired in the interim. However, that's an academic problem because ammunition for it doesn't exist. The 1903 came out right at the time ammo companies were making the change from black powder to smokeless, and Winchester wanted to be sure there was no confusion. Regular .22s were still available in black powder, which would have clogged up the semi-auto action very quickly. The new cartridge was called the .22 Winchester Automatic, and it used an inside lubricated bullet rather than a heeled bullet, so the case is larger than a standard .22 rimfire (short, long, or long rifle).

Because this cartridge was used only for the Winchester Model 1903, it is no longer manufactured. I have five (5) of them, courtesy of the owner of the range where I shoot. I won't shoot them, I just keep them for samples of what goes in the gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winchester_Automatic

base871

Postby base871 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Well my new fav just became my 9mm ar I just finished. Takes unmodified uzi mags and with the slidefire stock is a hoot to shoot.

Ive started reloading 9mm because of it!

Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”