Only trying to help re:Priming

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Blake

Only trying to help re:Priming

Postby Blake » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:41 am

I know there are several very knowledgeable folks here and I consider this forum the bible when it comes to Lee which is my preferred press(s).

I had a world of headaches priming .45 ACP a few months ago. Came here and read and re-read every post under all the different presses. Took my press apart, cleaned, measured inspected etc etc etc. No Joy.

My problem was small primer pockets in approximately 150 cases. Blazer, Fiocchi, and Federal brass from any source I could find. Of course most .45 use LPP. Problem solved the hard way. Maybe this is the first thing I should have checked but oh well.

Imagine staring at this press, going slowly through the cycle trying to pinpoint what I believed was a simple solution. I now have 20-40 misprimed completed rounds. While trying to figure it out I dismantle the rounds. Manually deprime. Then what do I do?

Throw those cases right back on the pile only to have the same problem!!!!

Major forehead slap. Good luck.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:23 pm

And for that reason Blake, I have gone totally to the small primer pocketed brass. Helps in two ways, at least for me: 1. I don't have to switch between small and large primer setup on my Dillon 650 and 2. I have an abundance of small primers as compared to large pistol primers.
FYI, the small primer 45ACP brass will give ANY press fits if they are overlooked.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Blake, it is very refreshing to read a man's comments where he puts down his ego and says, men I screwed up!. My hat is off to you sir.

I personally am in no hurry to load anything so I do all my case prep off my LM. De-cap, re-size clean primer pockets and tumble before the brass ever sees my press for reloading. I clean my primer pockets with a rig I built using the motor out of an old bathroom exhaust fan to which I attach RCBS primer pocket brushes via a short piece of 1/4" fuel line tubing. While cleaning the pockets on 45ACP, if you try to clean one with a small pocket, the large brush will grab it and let you know it's a small pocket. Ray Charles wouldn't have missed one small pocket case this way. Big ones go in one bin, small ones in another. Doing the case prep off the press allows me to know that every case that gets a new life as a finished round is as well made as I could do it. One of the guys on this forum takes it a step further and hand primes all his cases before they see his LM. That's even better. Remember, having the fastest car on the track don't mean squat if it can't finish the race..............safely.

Thanks for an honest post Blake.

mike

GLWZAPPER

Postby GLWZAPPER » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:22 am

I was loading some 45ACP for a good friend, & hit the same problem!!! Now I check all brass!!! Live and learn!

El Hombre

Postby El Hombre » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:25 pm

First time I ran into SP .45ACP, it was WTF? I'd been reloading MY OWN .45 brass pickups and it was always LP, so after a mangled primer, I took the shell plate off and found TWO primers down there. One SP that was fired and the crushed LP. I could hear it when it got crushed. Mine was all Blazer SP.

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Last summer, I sorted, cleaned, and sold, about 10,000 .45 ACP brass (had bought some bulk range brass). Found about 20% of range brass was small primer brass in that lot.

That is up from being "very unusual" just a couple of years ago. Now, everyone who loads .45 ACp simply has to sort the brass for primer size.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:34 pm

I went through all of my brass and threw away the small primer crap. I have a brass catcher, so now I know that every case I have uses large primers.

I don't usually pick up range brass, but I rarely see .45 ACP brass laying on the ground.

prs

Postby prs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Yep, been thar and dun it. What a shame some makers decided to change the primer in 45ACP.

prs

dcorrick

Postby dcorrick » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Darwin, what kind of brass catcher do you have. I would love to come up with something to catch the brass. I usually shoot off of my back deck, and I have chasing brass on the deck, and off in the grass.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:14 pm

dcorrick wrote:Darwin, what kind of brass catcher do you have. I would love to come up with something to catch the brass. I usually shoot off of my back deck, and I have chasing brass on the deck, and off in the grass.

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=751

carload9

hay

Postby carload9 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:33 pm

What woild i do without ya'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa2CLPjkKGg

brass catcher clip on rail.

Return to “Load Master forum”