Classic Turret press misalignment

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

john127

Classic Turret press misalignment

Postby john127 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:49 pm

I've had my Classic Turret Press since they were 1st offered & have been pretty happy with it. A few years ago I noticed that the brass cases were hitting the sizer die instead of going in smoothly like they're supposed to. After looking more closely to what was going on I noticed that there was a slight misalignment between the ram & the die position on the turret.

Has anyone else experienced this or noticed the same thing?

I was thinking the cause might be poorly the machined aluminum turrets but I have several of them & they all produce the same problem.

Does anyone know if there's some way to adjust the press to keep this from happening?

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:20 pm

Yeah John, I'm seeing the same thing and I've narrowed it down to the detent ball on the top of the press. When I notice the misalignment I have to manually complete the rotation cycle. Does Lee make replacement tops for the LCT?

john127

Postby john127 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:17 pm

Yeah, that kind of misalignment takes place on my Classic Turret press occasionally too, but the misalignment I'm referring to is not the rotational kind but the radial kind. That is when the turret normally locks into place by the ball detent, there is a slight radial misalignment where if not manually corrected the brass case will hit the rim of the sizing die & get damaged.

When the case hits the die, I'll move it slightly forward & watch it go in but its not centered. Its kind of like it gets forced to comply with the misalignment between the shell holder & the die.

This is more noticeable with the sizer die probably because of the more precise fit, but I'm sure the other dies get it too, its just that they're more forgiving.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:02 pm

You might try loosening the bolts that hold the turret "head" on, then run a case into the size die then re-tighten the four bolts. I don't have a LCT anymore so don't remember exactly how that's all put together. I know the top has four bolts, but can't recall how the "legs" are installed. May want to loosen them a bit also if possible.

carload9

Classic

Postby carload9 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:22 pm

I had this one time:

http://youtu.be/Dymueti9EFA

john127

Postby john127 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:02 am

An amazing setup carload. How'd you get the primer loader to work so smoothly?

john127

Postby john127 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:09 am

I think I may have tried that some time ago Horseman but I'll give it a shot again to see if it helps. Thanks for the tip.

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:54 am

It did that for me with M1 Carbine cases with the shell holders 7 or 7B. The 7B was better but not perfect. The problem disappeared with the RCBS shellholder.

john127

Postby john127 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:30 pm

I gave your suggestion a try Horseman & it seemed to work. No more radial misalignment. Thanks for the tip.

I've also noticed that daboone. That some RCBS shell holders seem to function better on this press than do Lees.

Hawkmoon

Re: Classic Turret press misalignment

Postby Hawkmoon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:41 pm

I just went through the same issue. Mine is the original Turret Press, not the cast-iron Classic. It's a simple fix, and there's a video on the Lee web site that explains it.

After many years of use, a few weeks ago I began to notice that when the turret rotated it didn't advance quite far enough to align with the ram and lock in place. I had to give the turret a nudge every time I pulled the handle. The solution is to remove the turret, pull the indexer rod out of the press, and turn the square nut on the top just a tiny bit in the direction you need the turret to advance. I hit it perfectly with my first adjustment.

Problem solved.

Return to “Turret presses”