AutoDrum on a Progressive -- can I lose that silly chain?

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

pdoggeth

AutoDrum on a Progressive -- can I lose that silly chain?

Postby pdoggeth » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:03 pm

From what I've seen on youtube, the Auto Drum is actuated solely by the case going up on riser/powder-through die. In this case, if I use the Auto Drum on a Lee Progressive Press, can I forgo that silly chain that the Auto Disk uses? That will be a nice plus for the Auto Drum then.

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Yes, the down-stroke verification device (disconnector) can be removed which will allow the powder measure to activate every time a case is inserted up into the die. Care should be taken to make sure a double charge doesn't happen when doing this though.

Here's a link to Lee's instruction manuals in .pdf format on their website. Look for #90811. Removal instructions is found on page 10.

http://leeprecision.com/instructions.html

daboone

Postby daboone » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:13 am

The chain can be eliminated on both the Auto Drum as well as the Auto Disk.

As Gooffeyguy stated " Care should be taken to make sure a double charge doesn't happen when doing this". The chain isn't silly it is a safeguard. Sadly not so silly things occur because we are human and make mistakes. This site's admin, Darwin, has helped us all be aware of what can happen because we as humans do make mistakes.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Chain is a safety device to prevent double charges.

pdoggeth

Postby pdoggeth » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks for the warning guys. I'll probably be looking into alternative safety measures such as the RCBS lockout die

Chickenthief

Postby Chickenthief » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:20 pm

Easiest safety measure regarding double charges is using a powder that will (over) fill the case with a double charge.

I know it costs some fractions of a cent for every cartridge, but it is nothing compared to a blown gun!!!

Dont ask me how i found out :cry:

carload9

Postby carload9 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:22 pm

use your eyes and mm spring setup on standard hopper & a safety plate ($4). Pencil all of your hopper, it will not stick or load-up. Pencil dwn in the hole too. Get a hopper plate from midway/or maybe titan has em by now.

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:24 pm

carload9 wrote:use your eyes and mm spring setup on standard hopper & a safety plate ($4). Pencil all of your hopper, it will not stick or load-up. Pencil dwn in the hole too. Get a hopper plate from midway/or maybe titan has em by now.

"mms spring"??? "safety plate" ??? I'm at a loss to understand these parts designations.

erle

Postby erle » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:02 pm

carload9 wrote:use your eyes and mm spring setup on standard hopper & a safety plate ($4). Pencil all of your hopper, it will not stick or load-up. Pencil dwn in the hole too. Get a hopper plate from midway/or maybe titan has em by now.

Carload are you talking about the primer safety shield which is now $5.00? Good to have but don't see how that will prevent a double charge of powder!

You must be talking about Titan's powder baffle which is also good to have to get consistent loads. I have one in each of my Lee powder hoppers.

Erle

carload9

mm

Postby carload9 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 pm

If your new to forum: mm usually mean magic mikes

Yea erle, that safety plate. It is good to know that titan has hopper baffles nowdays. Use to be only midway, bless their lil pea pickin heart.

Try the pencil.

Iam gonna get a hickory switch after ya'alls @$$:

mike: velosRus.com
---------------------------
she's ugly but she's fat".

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”