Smart carry holster

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

darwin
Site Admin

Smart carry holster

Postby darwin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:47 pm

I carry a Rock Island 1911 (the same one involved in my ND).

I have always carried with an IWB holster behind my left hip - I'm left handed. I had heard so much about the Smart Carry Holster - http://www.smartcarry.com/ - that I finally ordered one. I have to say that I have never been keen on the idea of reaching down the front of my pants if I ever need to draw my gun to protect my life.

I have a bit of a gut. It isn't really bad yet, and if my posture was correct I wouldn't have much of one at all. I tried the holster and I haven't found it to be comfortable at all. The bottom rubs my inner thighs and if I'm sitting in my car the hammer bites into my belly pretty badly.

I even tried wearing it empty and still wasn't comfortable with it. To be fair, maybe I need to move up a notch on my waist size on my jeans to give it a fair shot.

So here's where things get weird. I spun it around so that the gun is behind my left hip and I like it there. My pants aren't falling down all of the time, it rides lower so it's easier to cover it up with my T Shirt and it's right where "it's supposed to be"

Has anyone else here tried one?[/url]

guero1055

smart carry

Postby guero1055 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:51 pm

The smart carry holster was my first. It took a getting used to. Have to make sure it's goes around your hips and not up high around your waist. Once I adjusted to it, I found it to be very comfortable.

I use it now only when I want to make sure I don't get "made". I carry just about everywhere. I mostly use my M-TAC IWB. It's my preferred holster.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:09 pm

I tried it with my Commander size Springfield that has a Commander style hammer and beavertail and it's better, but still pokes me. I need to get rid of this belly. I can carry my Kel Tec P11 just fine in it, but that would be a backup at best. It just isn't reliable enough.

guero1055

smart carry

Postby guero1055 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:46 pm

I have no experience carrying that type of gun in a SC. I carry a subcompact Glock. A Glock 27. Maybe all those pointy things sticking up towards your belly is just not suited well for that type of carry. Belly or no belly.

I have been satisfied with it, but other people I know have been less enthusiastic.

Lance

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:11 am

I refined my "Smart Holster 2.0" a bit more. I had previously cut off the magazine pouch when I was trying to wear it as intended.

I inserted a Kydex holster into it, but this morning I switched it to an Uncle Mike's cloth belt holster. I cut it down so that it would fit. I haven't decided which I'll stick with in the end. Here are some pictures:

This is so much nicer than an IWB holster. I'm not pulling my pants up all day and if I want to cover it completely, I just pull them up high enough to cover it. It also holds the pistol closely to my body so it doesn't "stick out" when I bend over or sit down.

(I don't think it was secure enough with just the Smart Holster).

guero1055

SC

Postby guero1055 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:03 pm

That's an interesting modification. What makes the SC so nice is that you bear the weight of the gun with both of your hips, instead of a belt. I know that with my IWB I can really feel the weight of the gun, but with the SC I don't.

That said, I do carry primarily with my M-TAC IWB. But there are times when I really do not want to get made or it is just not practical to wear my IWB, the SC works great and I like it.

Glad to see you were able to make it work for you.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:26 pm

I switched back to the Kydex holster. I cut off the protrusion that allowed the holster to be attached to different bases. I had it on an IWB, but you can also attach it to a paddle or belt base. This made it smooth on the side that presses against my body. It is very comfortable and helps protect my back from the hammer and thumb safety.

I used sticky back "industrial strength" Velcro. I ran some stitches to help secure it to the Smart Carry holster. I slid an index card between the two sides of the velcro to position the Kydex holster, then removed the index card.

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:30 pm

I've always read to be leery of carrying in small of back. If you get knocked onto your back during an altercation, you are vulnerable to spinal injury. Just passing on what I have read since I have no personal experience.

However, I do have a first cousin (who is more like a brother) with a serious spinal cord injury and I would do everything in my power to avoid falling into that kind of problem. Becoming paralyzed makes recovering from a negligent discharge look like a walk in the park . . .

My opinion, worth what you paid for it.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:13 pm

I usually carry it further to the left.

I have a feeling if I ever got knocked down on my back by someone that I need to use lethal force on to protect myself, it probably isn't going to turn out well.....

Return to “Odds and Ends”