My brasscatcher

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

helg

My brasscatcher

Postby helg » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:45 am

This catches ALL brass. When I bring 200 rounds to the range, I return with exactly 200 fired shells that never touched dirt on the ground.

I have found no fun in bending over to seek and pick my brass. Some may find the catcher to be problematic to use with quickdraws, Though it does not harm if the gun is picked from a table.

Installed on a gun. The screw is not mandatory, regular tension is enough to hold the catcher.

Top cover is needed to catch the last shell. Unlike other brass, which goes to the right, the last one flies upwards.

Parts are: laundry mesh (pink), mosquito mesh (grey), frame from brass tubes (airplane model hobby store), it is soldered, steel rods at the bottom of the frame to snap into holes on custom grips. Sewing threads, electrical tape and glue from a gun that was flattened while hot with pliers to hold the mosquito mesh.

Custom right grip next to factory one. The custom grip is cast from epoxy glue with steel sheets and brass tubes reinforcement. Adding coal from a fireplace makes the epoxy color perfectly matching factory rubber one.

The catcher with U-shaped brass tube. When hold between hand and handgun grip, it allows to catch the brass on guns without custom grips. It is not that convenient, though is better than bending for the brass.

Custom grip for another gun. I bought a spare grip, and cast only a thick top piece where rods from the catcher are being inserted. Inner side of the insertion holes is reinforced with brass tubes. Again, the color perfectly matches the one for factory grips. Sure, both are just black.

It may take the whole evening to make the catcher and about the same time to cast custom grip for a gun.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:07 pm

That thing is UGLY, but beautiful at the same time.

I have tried buying/making them for my 1911s, but those guns scatter brass in every direction. I may take another wack at it.

I hate picking up brass and lose a lot of it.

Thanks for posting and especially the photos.

daboone

Postby daboone » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:07 pm

darwin wrote:That thing is UGLY, but beautiful at the same time.

I've been spreading out a tarp to catch the pistol, SKS and M1 Carbine so this needs to be re-figured to work make it work for these guys. Until someone on the site invents a brass magnet I think helg got the answer. I also want to thank you for the pics.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Helg, could you post the measurements of the wire frame? I think I am going to try to make one.

My 1911s throw the brass to the right about 2-6 feet and also behind me about 4-8 feet. The ones behind me land in grass, which is sometimes kind of tall.

If I shoot at the 25 yard range, there are larger rocks and grass behind. A tarp wouldn't help much.

SidecarMike

Postby SidecarMike » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm thinking of trying something like this. I'd go broke trying to build them for each individual gun I shoot. :lol:

Looks like an old fishing net.

helg

Postby helg » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:48 pm

I tried to draw basic dimensions at the picture. Hope it is readable

The throat is 4"x3.5"

The brass tube was from a hobby store. According to the label, it was from here:

http://www.ksmetals.com/retail.html

Bending the tube to avoid sharp corners required some care.

The 3' tube was enough for the whole frame and for couple of tube reinforcements in the grip holes. Inside of the tube fits with perfect tension around 3/32" steel rod from Home Depot. Anyway, if tension is not sufficient, just slight bending of the steel rods brings it to desirable level.

Depth of the catcher, which is 4.3", seems to be a bit excessive. It does not harm anything, but making it only 3" should work just as good. The 4.3" size was chosen just to use the whole 3' brass tube less cuts for reinforcements.

When soldering the frame, I used to drill holes in the tube near two parts that join on T-connection, and put some copper wire into the holes before soldering - to make the connections stronger.

I have two catchers, the pictures above show both. The one, which is shown with U-holder, does not have horizontal tube frame in the center on top of the mosquito mesh. This is the second version. The first one, with the rod, has a little problem. When ejected brass hits that central tube, it is reflected back, and is not being caught. Anyway, even in this case, the brass drops right to my legs. This happens may be once in 50 rounds, and never happens with the second version.

Putting soft laundry mesh to the top, instead of plastic mosquito net, creates another problem. Brass may reflect right back from the top cover mesh, and is not ending in the catcher. The top net is under tension of a frame, and can not hang soft.

Due to the shape of the top cover the brass, which reflects from the cover, is directed inside.

I do not know whether front and rear pieces of the mesh really help anything. No high speed video from the range.

The catcher is placed on the gun at the position that brass, which is being ejected, appears right at the center of the catcher. If I would make another one with shorter throat, from front to back, I would place it a bit back. My guns always eject brass slightly to the rear, about 30 to 45 degrees, and never eject brass to the forward direction.
Last edited by helg on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helg

Postby helg » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:29 pm

SidecarMike wrote:I'm thinking of trying something like this.

The catcher design, which that I have posted above, is actually version #4. Here is some history:

Version #1. 18"x18" frame from 1/2" PVC pipe on top of a music stand. When disassembled, all fits into a small duffel bag for the stand that is shown at the bottom. Height of the stand can be easily adjusted.

This catches about a half from my handguns. It takes some time to assemble it and to put it back.

Version #2. Frame from a car "magic shade" from WMart, which trifolds into a small round bag. Laudry mesh on the frame, or course. The mesh, BTW, is from a dollar store. The "shade frame" hangs on a steel wire frame (pictured), which was hooked on top of the fire position dividers at the range. Cat stands there for a size reference

Unlike #1, it is mounted and dismounted way faster. This was a bit larger, and caught a bit more, though still far from 100%. It never been even close to where the last round flied.

Both of the above catchers may be good for rifles, which are usually not moved too much between targets and stances. Paying attention to pistol-to-catcher position when being concentrated on a perfect shot is not fun. So, I moved to the design that attached to the gun.

Version #3. It was basically similar to #4, which is pictured at the first post of the thread. Instead of being grip-mounted, it was snapped to gun front rail with a thick steel wire that goes from the catcher frame to the front rails.

It worked fine. Problem that I have a gun without the rails. I have gifted the version #3 to a friend. He changed my snap-on rail mounts to the factory rail mounts with screws. After the mod, the catcher seems to be about as perfect as #4. The original snap-on mount, being made from a thick steel wire, was scratching the rails, and was a bit heavy - I felt some balance change of the gun.

Version #4 is pictured on top of the thread. Its weight is just 1.6oz.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 pm

I have been admiring these catchers, think I'll make one. But I can't help but wonder what Helg wears to conceal his rig.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:39 pm

I have the basic frame started - I used 2 wire coat hangers. One is a rectangle that forms the mouth. The other is the top, including the curved portion that goes over the top of the pistol. There is no rod across the top of the mouth. I'm glad you mentioned that, or I would have put one there.

I need to silver solder or braze it together, then figure out how to attach it. I am thinking of 2 vertical rods, connected by something that is flexible enough to change shape to fit the right grip panel and use my hands to hold it in place. I also have to decide what to cover it with.

Thanks Helg. I owe you big. :D

helg

Postby helg » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:03 pm

Minor addition to the above pictures. The above-pictured U-shaped tube, which I used to hold the catcher before making custom grips, is now covered by a duct tape to prevent scratching gun grips.

The very first reinforcement in the cast grips was made not from a brass tube,but from a tin plate sheet from a canned food that was wrapped around the holding rod at the bottom of the catcher to make a tube of proper diameter.

1911 grip is very simple to make. Unlike the 92s, which is thin, has two levels at the bottom and complex gutter for decocker, the 1911th, I believe, is easy made just from wood, and add there all the components to connect the holder.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:21 pm

IT WORKS!!!!!

I couldn't find any thin copper tube, and didn't have much luck with steel rod (coat hanger as well as brass rod). I ended up using 1/16 x 1/3 aluminum. Here's the frame:

I epoxied it together in addition to the bolts, I ground off the excess bolts.

I covered it with mesh, but really butchered it up. I plan on buying new mesh or cloth and doing that part over.

I just hold it to the grip with my hands and it worked well. No more bending over! Woohoo!
:D

Thanks, Helg, for the great idea and the help. I owe you big!

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:29 pm

It doesn't look like you attached it to the grip, did you?

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:00 pm

No, I just bent the pieces so that they lay against the grip and put black tape around them to cushion them. I'll take better photos when I take it back apart to re-cover it.

I was worried about doing it this way with the recoil, and it was no probklem at all.

I have 4 1911s, so I didn't want to have to modify all of them.

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Ok you're responsible for my next project, ya made it to easy to pass up and bending down ain't as easy as it used to be!

prs

Postby prs » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Revolvers rule! :lol:

prs

Return to “Odds and Ends”