New, improved, and better shell plates???

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

prs

New, improved, and better shell plates???

Postby prs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm having no problem with mine, but what exactly is different. I hear of older ones having slots and such, mine is quite old as LMs go and the hole is round and looks a lot like the pics of the new versions some have shown. Anyone have a side by side pic with the differences pointed-out?
Don't wanna be out of fashion, Ya know. ;-)

prs

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:59 pm

I plan on ordering a new one. Once I get it, I'll post side by a side picture if nobody else does by then.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:33 pm

The bottom of the shellplate is solid with holes drilled and chamfered for the primer to raise through. I only have one of the newer ones, but am not much of a photographer. Actually i have a worthless cheap camera. :)

mchasal

Postby mchasal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:36 pm

prs

Postby prs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:09 pm

OK, I;ve seen that pic; but I just went down to the man cave and removed my #11L shell plate and "Oh, now I see the diference!" DUH?! I may go for that just becasue....

prs

Ramduster

Postby Ramduster » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 am

Just got a loadmaster press for 45 acp and the new shellplate is giving me a lot of problems. First off 3 of the slots will not fit 45 acp. To small. Next the holes for the primers are not big enough to allow the primers to fall out after decapping if the primer gets bent so you get a jam. I called lee and talked to them about a new sheelplate. They want me to send in the old shellplate and some cases to see what the problem is :roll: .This press was bought new at midway USA last week they said send the press back for a full refund but I just ordered a new shellplate to see if that fixes the problems

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 am

They'll happily send you a new one for free. The reason they want the defective parts back is so they can see what's wrong with them and make corrections in their manufacturing process, if needed.

Ramduster

Postby Ramduster » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 pm

I ask them to send me a new part they said no. They said I would have to send the old part back first then they may or may not send me a new shellplate. Now seeing how this is a new press this is not a good way to start out with customer on such a low cost part so I just ordered a new shellplate and hope that works if not I will send the press back to midway for a refund. I also must tell you that I have a lee pro 1000 press for about 2 years now and have very little problems with it. Great press.

zuke

Postby zuke » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:07 pm

I bought my press to load .45 Win Mag and had the same issue with the case's not fitting.
I sent them a half dozen case's with it and when I got it back it was great!

Citywaterman

Postby Citywaterman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:20 pm

New shell plate? When I called Lee customer service (I had several questions), I inquired. I think I spoke with Betty, she had no idea about a new shell plate. All my shell plates work fine.

It's fair for Lee to request the defective part for inspection before sending a replacement. I bet their competitor's would do the same.

I mailed back some crushed primer sliders and a couple broken decapping pin rods. They replaced them, no questions asked.

The cap threads on my neck sizing die (made of aluminum) stripped. I called and they sent a replacement cap no questions asked. They did not ask me to mail them the part.

Citywaterman

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Citywaterman wrote:New shell plate? When I called Lee customer service (I had several questions), I inquired. I think I spoke with Betty, she had no idea about a new shell plate.
Citywaterman

I have been through this several times with their customer service! If you don't get John when you call to ask about new products you either won't get an answer or you will get the wrong answer because they really don't have any idea.

prs

Postby prs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Citywaterman wrote:New shell plate? When I called Lee customer service (I had several questions), I inquired. I think I spoke with Betty, she had no idea about a new shell plate. All my shell plates work fine.

Citywaterman

Since this is a new update of an existing part, I think I will hold-off on ordering to be sure I get a new style one -- IF I order at all. Like City said above, what I have seems to work really well.

prs

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:19 pm

Yup, I ain't gonna fix what ain't broke. :wink:

Ramduster

Postby Ramduster » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Got in a new shellplate yesterday that is of the old design and all is working fine now. :D

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:58 pm

daboone wrote:Yup, I ain't gonna fix what ain't broke. :wink:

I am sticking with the original design for two reasons:

1. My press primes just fine as is. No need to poke a sleeping animal with a stick.
2. If I did get a primer in sideways, it is simple now to loosen the shellplate and slide the case out through the slot with the primer still protruding from the case.

I have been hand priming with the Lee autoprime lately, and when I had a primer go in sideways there is no easy way to get the case out of the shell holder. I don't need the same problem with a Loadmaster shellplate.

Return to “Load Master forum”