Awesome classic turret mods!

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

uniquedot

Awesome classic turret mods!

Postby uniquedot » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:50 am

Check out the mods this guy did on the classic turret press! Be sure to watch them both. Auto primer feed, auto bullet feeding, and cartridge ejection. Would love to see this guy get ahold of a loadmaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLdrfZG8_IM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD6X6WzrsmM

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:48 am

Whose powder measure does he have on that thing? RCBS?

zuke

Postby zuke » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 pm

it would be great to hear what he has to say instead of that music.

bearing01

Postby bearing01 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:59 pm

Looks like RCBS

Too bad it's music playing and not his voice explaining it.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:23 pm

zuke wrote:it would be great to hear what he has to say instead of that music.

I muted it while i watched. I don't think he speaks english...at least not too well because i found some posts he had made on other youtube videos.

BTW the powder measure is an rcbs.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 pm

I didn't watch very much - I couldn't take the music and the video didn't really do much for me without an explanation. :(

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:56 am

darwin wrote:I didn't watch very much - I couldn't take the music and the video didn't really do much for me without an explanation. :(

The second video doesn't need too much explanation except i couldn't figure out how it only fed a primer when a case was present... anyone else know?

Anyway if you can sit through the second one with no sound of course, it was pretty neat to see it during the loading process.

helg

Postby helg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:20 am

uniquedot wrote:how it only fed a primer when a case was present...
Its turret press, not progressive. A primer has to be fed only once in a 360 degrees rotation cycle of the turret.

I do not see how is it implemented at the video. To do the reset on every full turn, I would put a rod, which protrudes to the bottom of the turret, and lever at the primer feeder that would feed a primer when its touched by the rod. The system would be similar to LM case sensitive feeder, but unlike the LM one, it would feed once a 360 degrees turret cycle, not every stroke.

StaTiK

Postby StaTiK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:40 am

if you go to his channel he recently re-posted the files with words rather than music.

http://www.youtube.com/user/0RG07#p/u/1/vhOFUVaUy_E

-StaTiK-

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Pretty cool stuff alright, but I don't see any real advantage in it. All it would save me would be three movements. Push on the perfect primer button, setting a bullet in the case and removing it from the shellholder when finished. Plus you've lost your 4th position for seperate crimp. Sharp engineering though for sure.

daboone

Postby daboone » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:30 am

Horseman wrote:Pretty cool stuff alright, but I don't see any real advantage in it...

OK how does his primer feeder not feed a primer with every pull of the handle? I'm I missing something in the video?

His bullet seater/crimper can be accomplished with most bullet seating dies by just adjusting the crimp

StaTiK

Postby StaTiK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:19 pm

I can't tell that either, but from the camera angle I find it difficult to tell when the primer is actually being transferred to from the magazine to the priming ram. For all I know it could always feed a primer, and since he's only pushing to prime every 4th pull then it only feeds another every 4th pull.

-StaTiK-

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:29 pm

daboone wrote:
Horseman wrote:Pretty cool stuff alright, but I don't see any real advantage in it...

OK how does his primer feeder not feed a primer with every pull of the handle? I'm I missing something in the video?

His bullet seater/crimper can be accomplished with most bullet seating dies by just adjusting the crimp

That is what i was trying to figure out. I think statik may be correct in that after the first one is seated it drops another in the cup, but as long as there is one still in the cup it wont let another one out. Not sure, but that is all i could come up with too.

daboone

Postby daboone » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:58 am

uniquedot wrote:......after the first one is seated it drops another in the cup, but as long as there is one still in the cup it wont let another one out. Not sure, but that is all i could come up with too.

OK, but if one is in the cup why with the next pull of the handle is it not smashing that primer against the seated primer?

StaTiK

Postby StaTiK » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:48 am

Well I've never tried this on my turret, but I assume because it wouldn't smash it into the existing primer unless you "push to prime" (which you would only do every 4th pull of the handle).

Again, this is just a guess since I can't see the primer cup very well on the video.

-StaTiK-

Return to “Turret presses”