This Rock definately rolls!

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

magic mike

This Rock definately rolls!

Postby magic mike » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:54 am

Hi all. Just a quick note about a my latest acquisition. I was looking for a smaller .45 to use as a carry gun and after much video watching and a fair amount of local discussion I had my buddy at the local range order me a Rock Island Armory .45 CS Tactical. I picked it up and took it to the man cave and promptly tore it apart for a through cleaning, deburring, stoning and general going over. I installed a Hogue wrap around grip, polished the scale off the outside of the barrel and then headed to the range with some 230 gr. FMJ for a little break-in time. I put 250 rounds through it without any malfunctions and discovered to my great satisfaction that this little gun is a real shooter. Ten rounds seven yards down range in rapid fire mode produced a group I could cover up with my fist. I was impressed to say the least. I found the gun very easy to control due in part to its weight, I'm sure. All in all I think this is a very good weapon for the money and it is a blast to shoot. One could spend a whole lot more but I really don't see any reason to if it is going to be a daily work gun. Just my opinion. I have attached a few pics for your viewing pleasure. like I said, she ain't pretty but she sure can cook!

[img][img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/9mm_mike/100.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

[img][img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/9mm_mike/104.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

[img][img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/9mm_mike/106.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

magic mike :D

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:59 am

What's not to like? She looks purrty to me Mike. I did a somewhat similar thing with a Taurus PT1911 I recently acquired. She hasn't had ANYTHING down her pipe except my own handloads with the Lead bullets I cast. It's a real pleasure to shoot. Thanks for the photo's, she looks real nice all dressed up.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:16 pm

I LOVE Rock Islands! I have a combat full size that is my daily carry. How much did it set you back?

Those Tacticals are definitely the ones to buy!

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Out the door at a dime short of $540.00 Mr. Darwin. Might have gotten a better deal if I looked around but the folks at this indoor range treat me really well so they have my business.
The trigger on this gun is really nice believe it or not. I think it feels just as good as my Springfield V-16 Longslide which has had a trigger job done on it at the Springfield custom shop. Can't beat that! Now I'm thinking about a 38 Super or maybe a 40. So many guns..................so little money!

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Sparky. All the hardball I sent down her came off my LM. I love it when a plan comes together!

mike

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Gawd, that's a great looking pistol. Drool, drool :P

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:42 am

Their high end guns are all hand fitted. Armscor, who makes them, also make the Kimber entry level 1911s. I forget the model name. They may have just made he parts and Kimber assembled them, I can't remember.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:50 pm

That is a sweet 45. Not a bad price either. Of course you have to remember that I love em all. Yes, that includes my inaccurate, clunky triggered Nagant 95.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 pm

darwin wrote:Their high end guns are all hand fitted. Armscor, who makes them, also make the Kimber entry level 1911s. I forget the model name. They may have just made he parts and Kimber assembled them, I can't remember.

Not Kimber -- STI. The Spartan. Armscor frame, slide and barrel, STI fire control parts. Assembled by STI in Texas.

Supposedly Armscor will also soon be making the Para USA "Expert" pistols. Rock Islands are good guns, well priced. The Compact tactical is a sweet package.

Old 454

Postby Old 454 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Hey Magic glad to see you digging the RIA compact, I just picked one up from my local reloading store in Michigan City Indiana, they are a great gun to own and shoot.Took a friend out shooting he had his Dan Wesson and me with my Rock, I shot just as well as him with his boutique gun.

I just smiled.

I got mine for 470.00 out the door.

Enjoy bud!

Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”