Small primer feeder mod that works

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

magic mike

Small primer feeder mod that works

Postby magic mike » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Hello everyone. I'm back with a mod to the small primer feeder that looks like it is going to work as well as the big one I did last week. I didn't make a video of the small one because it would be redundant as it works just like the large one. It is however slightly different in one way. Below are some pictures and I will caption each one so everyone can see what's going on.

Complete small primer feeder assembly.

Showing removal of slider arm mount.

Showing slider trough filled with JB Weld and trough contour. Also shows the small .020" shim soldered to top of cover to act as a bearing surface between the shell plate and the primer assembly holding the assembly snugly in the carrier socket.

Underside of brass cover showing .020" shim needed to reduce depth of trough to keep primers from tipping up when contacted by 1/16" pin. This is the main difference between the small and large mods.

Priming pin showing shape of 1/16" pin soldered to it.

Showing position of 1/16" pin in relation to spring hole.

Showing desired centering of priming pin in shell plate.

Showing pin at full travel.

Showing separation of second primer from first by 1/16" pin. This stops the second primer from getting pushed under the first primer in the event there is no case present to receive the first primer.

If there were a case here, this would be a happy primer. This picture was taken on the 500th test cycle of this feeder. ZERO FAILURES SO FAR.

My buddy and I will be loading up a batch of 40S&W tonight so we will get a chance to see how it all goes. I will let y'all know. Wish me luck! :D

mike

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Mike, great pics and great expanations. I(We) hope this works as expected. I for one will be very interested in the results and I hope a way to purchase that item from you.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Just came in from the shop and I can report that after the smoke cleared we loaded up 400 rounds of 40S&W WITHOUT ONE FAILURE OF ANY DESCRIPTION. I am super pleased with how this mod is working. I will attack a pile of 9mm in the next day or two and see how that goes.

mike

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:24 am

Woo hoo! Go, man, go!

When you get a chance, could you do photos like this of the large primer mod?

I think I need to rework my pin. I'll find out in the morning.

Also, in the third photo, it looks like your JB Weld moved the trough to the left a little and also covers the floor of the trough, raising the primers. Is this true? Could we see a photo with the trough cover off?

I find it amazing that you have basically outsmarted the engineers at Lee. Heh.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:25 am

Darwin, maybe with a little more testing and R&D to be sure this modification is really as good as it looks (and It sure looks promising) could you move it to "major fixes" or make it a sticky so it will be readily available to all and not get "lost" in the archives..whadda ya think???

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:36 am

Actually the large feeder mod is identical to the small one except for the little shim attached to the underside of the brass cover. The large primers are big enough that they don't tend to tip up when the pin rises up to push the column of primers back up the trough. The small primer trough is really way bigger than it needs to be especially in width. My guess is that for cost considerations, Lee had a multi-use injection die made so that by changing out a pin in the area of the slider they could produce both feeders with one die. The roof (cover) height with the small primers is problem because it lets the primers move to much vertically and I think it is compounded by the recess cast into the underside of the cover.

I did not raise the floor of the trough. I did increase the radius of the inside curve of the trough as much as possible in order to straighten the path to the pin. The outside curve just basically follows the inside curve but it does tighten as it nears the pin hole.

I think that it would be possible to use a smaller pin with the small feeder and I will work on that over the next few days. It would make the mod easier to do I think.

Thanks for the kind words Darwin.

mike

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Horseman wrote:Darwin, maybe with a little more testing and R&D to be sure this modification is really as good as it looks (and It sure looks promising) could you move it to "major fixes" or make it a sticky so it will be readily available to all and not get "lost" in the archives..whadda ya think???

You bet I will. I'm just waiting for the replies to run their course rather than make everybody find them again.

prs

Postby prs » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Mike. since you are relying upon gravity feed to keep primers available to the pin, have you tried to see how low the stack of primers in the trough can get before it fails to feed? So long as you can make it to the second window, I say Excellent. Great work!

prs

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:41 pm

I noticed that the large and small troughs are basically the same. I'm on my third try on the large trough. I am refining as I go. :D

Now I'm doing my primer pin over. Actually, I found I had the small primer pin before, thinking it was the large. :shock:

This time I lowered the top of the material in the bottom of the trough to barely clear the top of the primers and split the cover, so I can set that part of the cover down inside the trough.

I'm getting there, but I'm also running out of primer troughs! I only found one small trough.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Darwin, John Lee has lots of them and will sell them to you for a small fee. :P :P :wink: LOL

Wildrat

Postby Wildrat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Looks good so far. I will wait till any bugs are worked out before I mutilate my spare troughs.
Looks really good though.
Last edited by Wildrat on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:48 pm

myloadm61 wrote:Darwin, John Lee has lots of them and will sell them to you for a small fee. :P :P :wink: LOL

Yeah, but he doesn't have any of the old ones. The new small troughs have a very sharp curve at the bottom and not as much material that can be shaved off as the old ones.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:46 pm

prs. I have run the large feeder down to where I had six primers left in the trough. I have run the small one down to seven. In reality, there is really no difference between what I have and what the stock feeder has as far as gravity is concerned. Any time you let the primers get below the second window you're walking on shaky ground. For the most part I have been replenishing the primer supply when they get to the bottom of the top slot.

Loaded 100 9's today. No problems of any kind. I will load up a bunch more in the next couple days.

Darwin. As far as troughs go, new, old etc, I have never had any "old" ones so I guess I must have used new ones. 3, 3B. :?

mike

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Mike, the new ones have a capital A on the bottom of the trough.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Okay, guys. Let's assume facts not in evidence.

If someone was able to make a mold to make parts, what would be the best material to make the parts our of?

It would have to be easy to sand, be capable of smooth edges (to allow the sliders to slide along them), be easy to drill and easy to glue into place.

Epoxy? J-B Weld? Plastic? Something else?

And Mike. How much clearance between the top of the primer and the bottom of the cover?

Thanks all, and especially Magic Mike.

Return to “Load Master forum”