case bulge with 9mm on loadmaster

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

carload9

?

Postby carload9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:41 pm

?
would lee u die make lee fcd less effective?

Lee fcd has tappered floating sleeve in side.

erle

Get One-Got One

Postby erle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Lee makes one. Iam gonna try one from titianreloading.com
[quote]

Get one CL, you'll like it. I got one last Fall when I began reloading 9's, & I like it. I not only reload for my 9's, but my Son's & Grandsons & I'm sure it helps because our guns are all different makes.

God Bless :lol:

carload9

erle

Postby carload9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:13 pm

l like prepping brass just for the heck of it anyway. I was even b. swaging 380 when it snowed. We see wet 3" of snow maybe every 3 years. Still wonder about Lee fcd less effective because u die makes brass .003 smaller. Just could use the dillon crimp die but l like that floating sleeve in lee fcd.

erle

Different

Postby erle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:01 pm

I think that .003 inches is towards the base & does not affect the mouth.

The fcd crimps the mouth around the bullet. I have some large rifle fcd's that never touch the brass except at the mouth.

carload9

pics

Postby carload9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:31 pm

this is the 380 fcd: (its all relative) this sleeve goes dwn all over 380 rnd.. Didnt linda lovelace design this die?

You do math, i cant. heres top of sleeve.

Heres best l could do on bottom of sleeve.

erle

Thans

Postby erle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks CL. Guess straight wall cases are different.

I was reloading some .300 Win. Short Mag. yesterday & the fcd only crimped the bullet at the mouth.

carload9

yea

Postby carload9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:47 pm

yea. so if Lee "u" die make's brass smaller by .003 all over, then it seems lee fcd would not have to do so much work but would still hit all it's points. I or many prob dont need this, buy you can use any die on ebay and resale it, loose pennies. Last one i lost 67 cents including re-shippin. And you can sell em on castboolits. I been wanting a 9mm fcd for a while, l had a lee taper crimp die, so ones in the mail to me. I have used up trial time on a 380 lyman 380 seater crimp die, so its on ebay. I mailed one (a die) the other day in a used bubble wrap envelope for 2.32$. Give ebay a whirl.

Erle, i write to everyone for everyone to read even though iam answering you. That way all can keep up. There is 8000 peeps that read and pass-by here every day,hehehe. Well l bet there is.

fmj3

Re: Thans

Postby fmj3 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:39 am

erle wrote:Thanks CL. Guess straight wall cases are different.

I was reloading some .300 Win. Short Mag. yesterday & the fcd only crimped the bullet at the mouth.

Yes, the pistol FCD is different than the rifle FCD. The pistol FCD has a carbide sizing ring in the base (just a hair larger than the std sizer) that the entire completed round passes through and then a finger adjustable taper crimp at the top.

The rifle FCD uses like a 4 finger collet to squeeze the neck into dimension and the crimp amount is set by the die threaded up or down.

The pistol FCD is probably the easiest crimp die to set since you just thread the die to shell plate contact and lock it down and then use the finger adjustment on top to fine tune the crimp. A lot of people that load lead bullets don't like the sizing ring on the FCD because it can squeeze/deform over sized lead bullets.

USMCCpl

Re: case bulge with 9mm on loadmaster

Postby USMCCpl » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:18 pm

bobdubois wrote:I'm not sure this is a loadmaster issue but...
My 9mm loads which work beautifully in my Berettas (a 92 FS and a Nano) won't chamber in my wife's new Kimber 1911 Gold Match 2. It seems that the bullet seating process is causing a slight expansion of the brass just above the case head as a resized case with no bullet will chamber but a fully assembled dummy round won't. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the COAL as it I apply a bit of force I can see marks on the brass just above the case head.
Any thoughts about a potential solution?

I know I am new here, but I have a number of 1911's and have done a ton of research on them. My question is when did they make a 9mm 1911? I have never seen a 1911 other than 45acp.

carload9

yep

Postby carload9 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:25 pm

bunches of em! Many companies.

my friend match shooter has one custom over 4 grand

USMCCpl

Re: yep

Postby USMCCpl » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:31 pm

carload9 wrote:bunches of em! Many companies.

my friend match shooter has one custom over 4 grand

Well I learn something new every day! I am still looking on www to find one. I trust you... I am interested in finding on now for my wife.

dglock

Re: case bulge with 9mm on loadmaster

Postby dglock » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 pm

USMCCpl wrote:
bobdubois wrote:I'm not sure this is a loadmaster issue but...
My 9mm loads which work beautifully in my Berettas (a 92 FS and a Nano) won't chamber in my wife's new Kimber 1911 Gold Match 2. It seems that the bullet seating process is causing a slight expansion of the brass just above the case head as a resized case with no bullet will chamber but a fully assembled dummy round won't. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the COAL as it I apply a bit of force I can see marks on the brass just above the case head.
Any thoughts about a potential solution?

I know I am new here, but I have a number of 1911's and have done a ton of research on them. My question is when did they make a 9mm 1911? I have never seen a 1911 other than 45acp.

1911 pistols have also been chambered in 38 super for 60 years!

don

carload9

yea

Postby carload9 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:43 pm

s&w model 52 38 sp (super)

hceuterpe

Postby hceuterpe » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:33 am

Get a pistol max cartridge gauge. I think Lyman and L.E. Wilson both sell them. I've never tested a finished round that didn't pass in the Wilson. However, the dimensions of the Wilson are much tighter than any barrel I have. If it passes the Wilson, but fails the barrel, my money is on the barrel being the problem.
Another test is to take a resized and primed case out and put it in the Wilson. Check to see if it passes. Then take through powder, seating and crimping functions. If it fails then, it could be you have a die setup wrong.

Return to “Load Master forum”