New issues with reloading 9mm

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

llangston1

New issues with reloading 9mm

Postby llangston1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 pm

OK I reloaded some 9mm yesterday after the press has sat idle for 6 months or more and noticed some weird issues. I have not touched the press in several months but when I started priming the first few cases the primer depth was way off. The primer stuck out about half its depth from the bottom of the case. I had to readjust the seating bolt a few turns to get it right. After adjusting that bolt all the rest of the primers were fine. Could taking off the shell plate to clean and relubricate things change the primer seating depth? And no I did not check the depth with a spent case like I should have but did not think I needed to since I have not touched the press since my last 9mm reload session last year.

The second issue is a very noticeable tilt in the shell plate when I am extracting a round from the bullet seating die. as the case stays in the die during first downward motion of the shell plate you see the case pull up so the neck contacts the upper ridge of the shell plate and then the shell plate itself tilts up at station 4 and down at 1 &2 until the case sort of pops out. Then the shell plate snaps back to level with a slight metallic twang and everything works as it should. Since the only thing securing the shell plate is the center knob do I have that too loose? I have it what feels to be snug and the plate rotates smooth and easily. Other forums have suggested I have too much flare from the powder die and that is hangin up in the seating die. Doesn't the bullet seating die remove that flare when the projectile is seated. If not then how do I adjust the flare on the powder die while using the auto drum. I need to get full travel to ensure complete drum rotation. Do you have to have the drum in the powder die before adjusting the flare. I assume less flare would mean back out the die from the turret?

Is anyone else having similar issues?

magic mike

Re: New issues with reloading 9mm

Postby magic mike » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Check the small half-moon shaped shoulders surrounding the square boss on the carrier that prevent the case ejector plate from rotating. If they are protruding above the face of the shellplate, the nut and case ejector cannot hold the shellplate down against the webs in the carrier and it will rise up when you extract a case from a die. A sharp 1/2' wide wood chisel laid on top of the shellplate as a guide works well to trim down the shoulders. Be careful not to decrease the size of the square boss when doing this as that will allow the case ejector plate to move radially more than it should.
Hope this helps.

mike

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Mike I got another question on my carrier that you modified for me. When I insert the primer trough into the carrier should it go down into the carrier far enough so that the flat top surface of primer trough (where the primer pin comes up) be level with the web ribs of the carrier. Obviously the shell plate has to slide over that surface and ride over the carrier ribs as it spends around. I was just wondering if the ribs and the top of the primer trough are supposed to be level or not. Mine are definitely not. I would my primer trough sticks up at least 1/16" or more above the carrier web just past the primer station. One the shell plate is installed it seems to rotate freely and the press operates smoothly.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 pm

The top cover of the primer trough should be level with the tops of the webs. You will have to apply some pressure (as the shellplate would) to check it. If it was sticking up as high above the web tops as you say yours is I don't see how your press could possibly operate correctly. Something has to be preventing it from seating fully. Could also explain your primer depth problem.

mike

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:32 pm

OK I will double check it the next time I prime. Do you still recommend using some blue tape on the back side of the circular part of the primer trough to tighten it up in the carrier?

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:52 am

If the primer trough is not contacting the two little bumps on the frame as the ram rises I would suggest that as a fix.

mike

Return to “Load Master forum”