Rusting Dies

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

llangston1

Rusting Dies

Postby llangston1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 pm

During my recent reloading session I noticed a lot of my other caliber dies that are installed on other turrets are getting a lot of surface rust on them. How should I clean all that off? Should I dry tumble them? Or is that a problem with getting all the media residue out of the dies? What sort of abrasive or brushes can be used. Steel wire, brass wire or plastic brushes? I plan on spraying them with Hornady One shot after they are good and clean.

Yoda

Re: Rusting Dies

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Steel wool should clean them up

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:58 pm

An oily rag or an SOS pad. The first may give them protection against rusting again.

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 pm

The Lee Reloading group on FB suggested using vinegar. I soaked the rusty dies in a bowl of white vinegar for a hour or so and it worked very well. I also scrubbed the dies with a soft bristle brush. That got all the rust off and then I cleaned then with brake clean, wiped them off and then sprayed them with Hornady One shot lube. Since I don't use these dies as much as my 9mm dies I will probably take them out of the turrets and put them back in their Lee boxes.

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Well so much for the vinegar treatment. It might have removed the rust but the Hornady One shot lube did nothing to prevent the rust from coming back . I went out and looked at the dies today and they are a heck of a lot more rustier than they were when I use the vinegar on them. I would have left them alone if I had know they would look worse. I sprayed them down in PB Blaster and closed them up in a plastic container. I will go look at them again tomorrow. Will I need to keep them in a oily rag or a oil bath to prevent the rust from returning?

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:13 pm

Well the PB blaster did not protect the dies from rusting. They were much worse than when I started. I wonder if the vinegar treatment takes off some sort of rust protecting coating because the dies seem to rust a lot worse and quicker now. I tried the vinegar one more time then sprayed them with PB Blaster and used some steel wool on them. I also put in tin my dry media tumbler and that seemed to get most of the external rust off but the internal parts of the dies still show some rusty spots and rusty discoloration. The .223 rifle die recapping pin was extremely rusty but cleaned up in the tumbler. I have now coated the dies in Hobbes No 9 and put them back in their Lee boxes. I will check them again to see if the rust has returned. Has anyone else had this problem with their dies? I have other dies sitting on my bench that have little to no rust and they have been there just as long as my problem dies. What would make some rust and other not?

Yoda

Postby Yoda » Wed May 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Sounds like your use "cleaners" to coat your dies try some gun oil or CLPafter you get the rust off

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:03 am

Has anyone use Barricade spray to prevent rust on guns or reloading dies?

Return to “Load Master forum”