New Lee Progressive Press?

Moderator: darwin

Hawkmoon

New Lee Progressive Press?

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun May 06, 2018 1:30 am

Auto Breech Lock Pro. Does anyone know anything about it?

https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

darwin
Site Admin

Re: New Lee Progressive Press?

Postby darwin » Mon May 28, 2018 10:20 am

That's an interesting press. Like the LM, a very unique design.

I read the linked PDFs. It looks like it can be set up for fully automatic operation except the priming. It looks like you must place a primer in the primer cup for each round.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:12 am

For some reason, the video won't play for me.

Can it be used with the Autodisk or Autodrum powder measures?

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:55 pm

Hawkmoon wrote:For some reason, the video won't play for me.

Can it be used with the Autodisk or Autodrum powder measures?

Either one. If you're interested in one, I'd read some reviews. There's a couple things that don't sound to good to me. One is the carrier has a plastic (?) cover that seems to wear from not that many cases coming from the case feeder. Assuming they were talking about the case feeder "arm" to the shell plate.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm

I got the video to run. This new press looks like a mixed bag. It seems to eliminate some of the aspects that can make the Loadmaster "finnicky," so that's a plus. Caliber changes require swapping out four individual dies with their breechlock bushings, rather than simply switching turrets. Not the end of the world, but if you switch calibers frequently (which, admittedly, I don't) it could become a bit of a nuisance. No mention of a case feeder that I could see.

It does appear that it will work with the Autodisk powder measure, at least with the spring return. I don't know if it will work with the chain return.

I don't think I want to be the first kid on the block to buy one of these.

Update: Here's a fairly extensive video showing setup and operation. The press will use the Autodisk and Autodrum powder measures, and it will run the Autodisk with the chain return. What I don't understand, though, is that it's a four stage press. At least in this video, he uses stage 1 for decapping and resizing, stage 2 for priming and flaring, stage 3 for charging, and stage 4 for bullet seating and crimping. There's no place for the factory crimp die. The way I run my Turret press, stage 1 is decap/resize, stage 2 is prime/flare/charge, stage 3 is bullet seating, and stage 4 is factory crimp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbWBdYJuQ2E

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:05 pm

It looks like he's using RCBS dies and using the RCBS flare die in station 2 instead of the Lee powder through/flare die.

erle

Postby erle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:19 am

The set-up I saw seemed to be using station 2 for priming & charging with station 3 for bullet seating & station 4 for factory crimping.

I have never wanted to prime & powder charge in the same station on the LLM for safety reasons. However this press seems to prime on the up-stroke & charge powder on the down-stroke, which might make it a little safer.

I also noticed that the case feeder will work on this press.

Erle

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:21 pm

If you use it with the Autodisk powder measure, the Autodisk works on the up stroke. It has nothing to do with the press, that's the way the device was designed.

I'm seeing more reviews and more videos about this new machine, and most of the reports seem to be generally favorable. I'm keeping my eye on it -- it's certainly affordable.

Return to “Auto Breech Lock Pro Discussions”