Indexing issues

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

HHomebrewer52

Indexing issues

Postby HHomebrewer52 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:38 pm

I seem to be having an indexing problem with the Lee Loadmaster that I believe is caused by the upper link pin hole in the frame being milled to large/out of spec.

When I pull the handle down the indexing rod does not always make contact with the pull out rib. Sometimes the indexing flipper falls off the rib halfway indexed and binds up the indexing rod against the carrier. I found that if at any point in working the press there is any righthand pressure on the handle this moves the plate carrier, ram and handle more than a 1/16th to the right. I have taken the link pin assembly apart and when inserting a pin into the frame, you can see space around at least half of the pin and it wobbles back and forth. This does not happen if you put the same pin in the hole milled into the handle.

anyone else dealt with an issue similar to this?

Horseman

Re: Indexing issues

Postby Horseman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:25 am

Have you made sure the bolt that runs from the bottom of the ram up to the shell plate carrier is tight. If that is not the problem I would contact Lee and see what their response is. I personally have not seen the issue you mention and I've owned about 8 or 9 of these presses over the years. I can't seem to get away from them, they kinda fascinate me for some reason. I buy one, tinker with it to get it running really well then sell it. I never make any money on them either.... :lol:

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:03 pm

I have seen this before and the easy fix for it is to preload the press handle to the right and realign the carrier assembly. I agree this is quite a bit of slop but I believe it will run OK if you do the above. :wink:

mike

HHomebrewer52

Postby HHomebrewer52 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:13 pm

thanks Horseman, I have made sure the bottom bolt is tight, as i said the whole assembly (ram, carrier and handle) moved as a unit.
Thanks Mike! After reading your suggestion, I just had a facepalm moment. Why didn't i think of that before going through the trouble of calling Lee a half dozen times and sending out my press. I should be getting it back tomorrow, so if they didn't replace the frame i will implement your suggestion. Who knows, maybe they did exactly what you suggested.

thanks again,

Jabin

HHomebrewer52

Postby HHomebrewer52 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Got the press back from Lee a couple days ago... it seems as if they did the same thing that magicmike suggested. They added a wave washer to the upper left hand part of the linkage. it now runs like buttah! now i just need to gather up some components and start running some rounds through the press. Can't wait to see how the handloads perform compared to the standard 115gr round.

Return to “Load Master forum”