rounds per hour

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

bill3337

rounds per hour

Postby bill3337 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:46 am

The new 2019 Lee catalog mentions 500RPH in the past this was 600RPH
In the past i had i have achieved 600RPH this was after staging components its possible but it was work
Glad to see this more realistic number,please comment :D

Horseman

Re: rounds per hour

Postby Horseman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 am

I could probably run 5 to 600rph running the LM as a dedicated de-priming machine....maybe. I doubt I've ever run much over 300 while reloading, using any progressive machine. Just has not been a goal. It's just a selling, bragging rights sort of thing to me....a number. Guys say they can load 200 rph on a Classic Cast turret. I've owned two of them and never got close to that, more in the 100 to 130 range, but never really counted. What some do is load for 10 or 15 minutes then extrapolate that number to an hourly rate. I HAVE seen 100 rounds on a LM in 6 minutes on U-Tube, (will assume he was priming also at the time) keep it up for 30 minutes, perhaps.

bill3337

Postby bill3337 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:25 pm

100 in 6 mins you will be slinging powder

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Maybe so Bill, but use your google fu for 100 rounds on a LM in 6 minutes and see if it still comes up. The only thing I can say for sure in the video is that the cases came from the case feeder, went around the shell plate and bullets were seated. Powder and priming I have no idea, but I'll take the guys word for it. Oh, I didn't see any powder slinging about.

bill3337

Postby bill3337 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:19 am

Even if it doesn't sling i get erratic drops, varies by more than 2 tenths grain{bullseye set at 4.4 grains the disk} if you go at about 20rpm. I find best consistency at 10 to 12rpm you still get plenty in an hour if you sort brass. lube the press. keep it clean also lube brass.I also bulge bust my range pickups
I stage components for 250 i fill bullet feeder tubes. and 1 extra primer tray. takes 5 min then pump for 20 min and i have enough for a uspsa match more than enough for idpa

ralloway

Postby ralloway » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 am

I spray a little lube on my cases before putting them into the case feeder, which keeps things nice and easy when the cases are in the resizing station. I also have 4 primer trays. I can reliably load 500 rounds per hour and that's with hand feeding the bullets.

I have an endoscope which shows whether or not the primer is good (present, not sideways, etc) on a 5" screen. Each time I lower the carriage, I look for powder in the case, place a bullet, glance at the screen to verify the primer and look at the next case being fed while I start raising the carriage again. Looking at the next case helps with making sure the case is fed fully, not upside down, tube isn't empty, etc.

The powder hopper and empty primer trays get a refill when the case feeder is refilled and I'll verify that the carriage nut and turret thumbscrew are tight at the same time.

If I had more primer trays, I could probably load 600+ rounds per hour since the powder hopper is rarely less than 1/2 full and refilling the case feeder only takes a few seconds.

Return to “Load Master forum”