Decapping pin tightness???

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Bensjamming

Decapping pin tightness???

Postby Bensjamming » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:42 am

So I got a used set of 9mm dies and when I got them the decapping pin was sticking up out of the collet. I put it back down to flush after realizing that's why I'd get a case that would occasionally not be deprimed. This got me wondering how tight that collet nut is supposed to be in the event it hits a berdan primer or something weird happens so the pin doesn't break and allows it to push back up.

Is there a torque spec for this?

It seems really tight even after loosening it til the pin easily pushed down with my finger. Is that normal? I have a couple universal decapping dies coming in the mail but wont be here til Tuesday (darn MLK day...) and then I'll be removing it all together but am curious about it for the new dies anyhow.

Thanks in advance.

gooffeyguy

Re: Decapping pin tightness???

Postby gooffeyguy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:24 pm

I've found it needs to be pretty snug. I don't know of a torque spec, but you need to use two wrenches, one on the die and another on the collet.

Get it pretty snug and run it. If you find it pushes up when trying to de-prime then tighten it a bit more. keep doing that until it stays when de-priming. I know some primer/brass combos will have tighter primer pockets and require a bit more to de-prime, like crimped primers. Just keep tightening it until it de-primes your brass without moving up. If you get a non-primable case it will push it up.

Return to “Load Master forum”