loadmastervideos.com Forum Index loadmastervideos.com
Discussion of videos and Load Master presses

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

more powder leak problems w/ H335 in .223 / Pro Auto Disk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    loadmastervideos.com Forum Index -> Load Master forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: more powder leak problems w/ H335 in .223 / Pro Auto Disk Reply with quote

I got the Pro Auto Disk & double disk kit, and am having trouble with it spilling power on the downstroke, after the carrier has lowered the shell from inside the die.

Has anyone else seen this before? Is my die setting/depth perhaps wrong? It acts as if all the powder has not flowed out and into the case before the case is backed down and out of the die. I'm making sure I pause at the top of the stroke, and even tapped the measure while in the "up" position.

I appreciate any feedback.

GM
Horseman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powder hopper oriented correctly?? Square side towards the powder drop hole.
gm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the setup appears to be correct including the orientation of the hopper. I also noticed when I removed the measure and die, there is lots of powder sticking inside the drop tube and measure. Not sure if that's related or not.
2manycats

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading something about static stick. It said to wash everything in a detergent like 'Joy' etc, but NOT rinse-just let the soapy water dry. This forms an anti-static film on plastic/nylon type parts. I never did it because I don't use flake power-but it seems reasonable.

This was from Lee-circa mid 70's. Seems like a cheap fix if it works.
Horseman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at my powder measure thinking about this. I don't use the disks so purely guesswork. If the hopper is oriented correctly, the disks are situated on the actuating arm in the slot, maybe the disk orientation. If using two disks and different size holes on each disk a smaller hole on the bottom maybe would cause the powder to bridge on the top of the smaller hole size until the case cleared the bottom disk. Wild guess maybe.
Horseman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to reduce the static and powder sticking is to fill the hopper all the to the top with powder and set for the largest charge you can and cycle all the powder out. If you do that two or three times no more static cling...Thats the way I've done several of them and it works better than the dryer sheet thing ( that never worked for me). Whatever you find be sure and share with us. Good luck.
gm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Update on these issues Reply with quote

Well, I seem to have things working, but with the Varget powder. I took everything apart, cleaned the H335 powder out of the charging die and the insert in the die (drop tube?); the powder was sticking everywhere inside the die & insert. I then reassembled everything, and made sure the adjustment allowed the disk hole to slightly pass over the drop hole into the die. My suspicion was that maybe I had the disk travel off a bit so it would not flow properly.

Anyhow, I managed to load 50 cases with Varget and got almost no spilled powder. The few times it did, it seemed that I was working the press too fast and not allowing time for the case to fill before lowering it. Once I noticed that and slowed down, then paused at the full up position it did not leak at all.

I'm going to finish loading these 50, and then try the H335 again and see what happens. I'll post another update to let everyone know how that goes.

Oh yea, mailed the Perfect Powder Measure back for warranty....we'll see how that goes.
gobble

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have case lube sticking in the charging die?
gm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be I suppose. I wiped out the inside of the die with paper towel real well before I reassembled, so maybe some lube was making the powder stick.
Enmerdeur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have the disk with the smaller cavity on top otherwise you will have a little shelf there that powder can a stay on and then fall off.
gm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

OK, so I now have loaded .223 Varget as well as .40 S&W Hodgdon HS6 and Winchester WST withe Pro Auto Disk setup without any further problems. No leaking at all, and accuracy has been +/--0.1 grains.

The Varget was a double disk setup, so I don't think the double disk was the problem (.40 loads were single disk of course). I have not tired the H335 setup again, but that's next.

Thanks for the replies all, I just wanted to provide an update.

GM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    loadmastervideos.com Forum Index -> Load Master forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: