Need advice on Loadmsater turret, dies and shell plate size for 223/5.56

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Frodo9mm

Need advice on Loadmsater turret, dies and shell plate size for 223/5.56

Postby Frodo9mm » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:48 am

Hello Everyone -

Need advice on Loadmaster turret, dies and shell plate size for 223/5.56 -

I plan to start reloading 223 for high power rifle matches that I am getting into, and need your feedback on turret, dies and shell plate size before I order then so that I can reload with the best.

It looks like Lee recommends the following for 223 Remington:

Dies - Les Part Number - 90273
Shell plate size - 4s
Powder Measure - Auto-Drum

https://leeprecision.com/load-master-223-rem.html

You guys that have experience with this, please let me know any difference, or additional parts and setup that works best.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Frodo9mm

CHEECH

Re: Need advice on Loadmsater turret, dies and shell plate size for 223/5.56

Postby CHEECH » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:52 am

That's the setup I use although you can use the Auto Disk powder measure instead of the Auto Drum. If you decide to go that route you'll have to buy the Double Disk kit as well. There are a lot of videos on Youtube concerning the loading of 223 on the Load Master and most are very helpful. I think one thing you'll want to avoid is the case feeder though as it doesn't work too well with 223 cases.

Frodo9mm

Postby Frodo9mm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Hey Cheech -

Thank you for the info and for the price difference, i will just get the Auto Drum, i think.

I will create a post was I set it up.

Thx, Frodo9mm.

tunaman

Postby tunaman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am

I have had better luck with some powders using the AutoDisc over the Auto Drum. Dont just get the AutoDrum and expect it to work. Try the Autodisc first. Also, get one or two of Magic Mikes Turrets if you are serious about quality ammo. They are the cats' meow if you have a Loadmaster.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:11 pm

Not sure, but by your question you seem to be pretty new to this. And we don't know what other equipment you have. But to reload, well, pretty much anything but especially bottleneck rounds, you'll need case prep tools and a few other essential items. Can I assume you have a powder scale? Load manuals? A way to check cartridge OAL and such. You will find about all this equipment and methods in the first part of any reliable reloading manual. Read it. Several times. Understand what you'll be doing and the why's. If you already have this experience and knowledge then please disregard my mentioning it, just trying to be of help.

Return to “Load Master forum”