Auto Disk powder measure. Mod for medium flake powders

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

helg

Auto Disk powder measure. Mod for medium flake powders

Postby helg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:41 pm

Lee perfect powder measure on my Loadmaster perfectly dispenses ball powders. However, the ball powders, like Titegroup, Bullseye of Win231 give a lot of smoke and leave barrel dirty with cast bullets. I have tried Red Dot, and was very pleased: clean and no smoke. Drawback is that Red Dot has relatively big flakes, and does not measure good in small amounts. Lee manual says that .30cc is the minimum for Red Dot measurement. My measure becomes inconsistent by more than 10% with .46cc disk. .49cc measures perfectly. Load with .46cc gives the best shooting accuracy.

Lee recommends tapping on the powder measure on every charge. Not convenient though.

.46cc and smaller holes are too narrow, and powder flakes may bridge over them. Lee micro disk kit is designed to solve the problem - the holes are wider and lower. Unfortunately, the kit does not measure more than .27cc. I made a mod, similar to Lee micro disk, which measures .46cc through wider hole.

Calculations to figure out - which hole on a disk to make a groove on. Acryllic band. Brass ring from .45ACP shell, which pushed to the band with soldering iron - the band melted on the connection. Groove on the disk from Lee double disk kit - to fit the band. The brass needed an extra crimp (with Lee FCD, of course) to fit perfectly to the bottom of powder measure. That was it.

The updated disk measures 2.92 grains on Red Dot with standard deviation of less than 2%, like bigger disks.
Last edited by helg on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:40 am

That's pretty clever. Keep us posted.

helg

Re: Perfect powder measure. Mod for medium flake powder meas

Postby helg » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:51 pm

By now almost 200 rounds have been loaded with the mod measure and shot. No more "reloader's fever" when you feel mild recoil, unload a gun, and look through chamber. The measure is still solid, with no signs that it might break.

Catholicseymour

Goog mod

Postby Catholicseymour » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:09 pm

Pretty nifty...

daboone

Re: Goog mod

Postby daboone » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Catholicseymour wrote:Pretty nifty...

It's great to see you or anyone searching the older threads/post and bring back to the surface some of the great information posted here. There is a goldmine of information by some unfortunately long gone geniuses as well as those like JumpingFrog, HELG and PRS (not to mention Darwin)and many even newer guys. Then there guys like me who just suck all info out of here and are damn thankful for this site.

darwin
Site Admin

Re: Goog mod

Postby darwin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:02 pm

daboone wrote: (not to mention Darwin)

Yeah, you BETTER mention me! :D

I couldn't run this site without all of the knowledgeable members. I learn more here than I teach!!

prs

Postby prs » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:18 pm

In a quest to learm something new each day, this site has been a refreshing help.

prs

Return to “Load Master forum”