Lubrication of the LM

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Citywaterman

Lubrication of the LM

Postby Citywaterman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:20 pm

When lubricating the ram of the LM using a standard piston oiler (I have it pressed in at the ball bearing check valve) I'm not sure if any oil is actually getting in. I'm not having any problems with the press, but the oil just dribbles down the side. Any suggestions? I will deal with it tonight after work. Maybe I need to press more firmly? It's a new press.

Citywaterman

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 pm

If you pump the handle or whatever on the oil can and less runs down the side of the press than you think came out of the can, you are fine. I always get a little dribble down the frame when I oil it. It just puts a light coating on the ram - you could probably just smear a little oil around the ram, but you'd probably add too much and it would make a mess eventually.

policestate

Postby policestate » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:53 pm

I just smear a little stp on the ram with a finger.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:22 pm

I use a mix of 1/4 synthetic oil & 3/4 STP. Brush it on the ram and the square rod the crank slider rides on with a 1/2" brush. With the synthetic oil added the crank slider works freely much longer than with just STP. The ram stays lubricated longer than I can keep loading. It is usually good to use the next day.

Citywaterman

I'm lubricating the ram manually by hand

Postby Citywaterman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:05 am

I tried using a piston oiler to lubricate the ram. No go. It just dribble's down the side of the press. Im' thinking it's probably the ball bearing check valve. Either way, I'm lubricating the ram by hand. I'm using ROWE_S formula of 1/4 synthetic oil & 3/4 STP. I have some of both left over from other projects. I still would like to get the lubrication port to accept the lube as it was designed. I will 8) .

Citywaterman

kcbrown

Postby kcbrown » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:37 am

I generally prefer to use grease over oil for applications like the ram on the press. So my question is: can grease (Mobil 1 synthetic grease is what I like to use) be safely used on the ram? If so, what's the best way to apply it? Can you squirt grease into the lubrication port?

jwc

Re: I'm lubricating the ram manually by hand

Postby jwc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 am

Citywaterman wrote:I tried using a piston oiler to lubricate the ram. No go. It just dribble's down the side of the press. Im' thinking it's probably the ball bearing check valve. Either way, I'm lubricating the ram by hand. I'm using ROWE_S formula of 1/4 synthetic oil & 3/4 STP. I have some of both left over from other projects. I still would like to get the lubrication port to accept the lube as it was designed. I will 8) .

Citywaterman

I had the same problem with mine and ended up lubing it by hand too.

After I removed the lube from the factory and applied motor oil it ran 100% smoother.
Last edited by jwc on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prs

Postby prs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:23 pm

I've used a pin oiler on mine, but the only place I've seen them for sale is Radio Shack and they are pre-filled with some silicone lube that is water thin and it not readily refillable. I have used a 2.5ml syringe with a cut-off large animal hypodermic filled with whatever I like. Maybe a bar-b-q syringe would suite as well, if not too big. 3in1 oil cans fit the pin type ball fittings and they have a black labled variety that is, I think, 30 weight or maybe 20 weight. I can see where most of the little pumper cans may have too large an opening to depress the little ball. If I were gonna use grease, I would white lithium or Green Stuff in trying to avoid stains on my clothing when re-loading. I use Green Stuff on the zerks.

prs

slwroln

Postby slwroln » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:34 pm

I bought mine at True Value Hardware. About $5

Citywaterman

Postby Citywaterman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:51 pm

I bought my oiler at our local ACE hardware. The tip of the oiler is probably a little too large to fit properly on the ball bearing check valve. I figured they were all the same size. If so, that should be an easy fix.

Citywaterman

kcbrown

Postby kcbrown » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 am

Hmm...nobody here knows the answer to my question about using grease instead of oil and, in particular, injecting grease instead of oil into the lubrication port?

I started lubing my ram by hand with grease and that seems to work, but I don't know that it's as good as lubing through the provided port.

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:20 pm

kcbrown wrote:Hmm...nobody here knows the answer to my question about using grease instead of oil and, in particular, injecting grease instead of oil into the lubrication port?

Well, the only thing that comes to mind is the fitting is designed for oil, not grease. If they wanted grease, they could have included a grease fitting. I am concerned that you cannot get enough grease in under enough pressure to evenly coat the slide.

FWIW, I use the oil can.

policestate

Postby policestate » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:36 am

Theoretically speaking, to some extent gravity naturally drains the oil out the bottom of the press, and dirt/grit along with it. Grease would have less tendency to drain, and would hold any such grit in suspension, thereby slowly grinding away at the aluminum frame. Of course I have no idea how much of a factor this is in actual practice.

kcbrown

Postby kcbrown » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:31 am

policestate wrote:Theoretically speaking, to some extent gravity naturally drains the oil out the bottom of the press, and dirt/grit along with it. Grease would have less tendency to drain, and would hold any such grit in suspension, thereby slowly grinding away at the aluminum frame. Of course I have no idea how much of a factor this is in actual practice.

That's an excellent point, actually.

I've taken to lubricating the ram with 15W50 synthetic motor oil. Bought an oiling can for the purpose. I figured if there's uncertainty and the manufacturer says to do it a certain way (and is an honest manufacturer and isn't just trying to make more money by having the product wear out faster) then I'll do it that way.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:29 pm

I just cleaned off my press and covered it up until the next use. Before cleaning it, with the ram lowered it had a nice film of oil on it, same for the case feed rod. My press lube is a mix of 1/4 synthetic oil & 3/4 STP. It had been on there for aproximately 36 hours. It only had about 600 rounds ran throuh it, but my point is it stays on.

Return to “Load Master forum”